Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
tomdavis1865
    Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:01 pm

I have a test on Friday and the tig portion of it is 5 pieces of 1/2'' sched 160 (freehand tig) and the stick portion of it is a 6" sched 40 carbon 7018 root - cap. I haven't done any 7018 roots before and I'm going to practice tomorrow for it but I was wondering if anyone in here has done it before and if so what is the best heat/ technique to use. I'm figuring it be oscilation and a lot of stop/starts and feathering but I don't want to light up on it at normal 3/32 temp and blow through. I'd really like to not bust on this test due to never having done a root this way so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys :D
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Tom, welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

This guy seems to be familiar with it-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rSCF4Q4_uM

I have no experience with that application though.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Have done 7018 root - our WPS called for electrode negative root - all other passes electrode positive - not sure on amps as nothing I've used had any readout & we always weld with left hand on remote which is marked 0 > 10 - sorry I can't be more specific . vertical is quite easy once you practice & get a feel for it - overhead can be a major issue depending on rods - not sure what you work with but look for the thinnest coating rod available - price is getting crazy expensive on them but best luck I've had was with Filarc 55 - obviously prep angle / root gap / land is going to have a big effect - we have 70 degree included angle - 2.5mm gap - very slight maybe 1.5mm land - good luck on test - hope it goes well for you.
tomdavis1865
    Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:01 pm

Thanks guys for the replies, I ended up going in and testing and it shot so we're in the green now! Great community in here, y'all are awesome
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

tomdavis1865 wrote:Thanks guys for the replies, I ended up going in and testing and it shot so we're in the green now! Great community in here, y'all are awesome
Congratulations on the pass! Welcome to the neighborhood, too!

Steve S