Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

It's quite possible that amperages may be brand specific.
Check out the INWELD brand of 1/4" 7024 that runs between 280-380 amps.
http://www.inweldcorporation.com/produc ... seMethod=1
Tombstone
    Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:15 pm

WerkSpace wrote:It's quite possible that amperages may be brand specific.
Check out the INWELD brand of 1/4" 7024 that runs between 280-380 amps.
http://www.inweldcorporation.com/produc ... seMethod=1
What's funny is that Inweld's doesn't even have a catalog number for any 1/4" 7024's, nor can you purchase them from the link provided. The biggest electrode they list is 3/16". Under their "data sheet," however, they make the claim of "280A."

At 280, the "penetration" will be a solid "rope" booger-snot weld. Heck, 6010 5P 1/8" falls between 70-130A. Ever try to get a good penetrating bead at 70A with 1/8 anything? (Ie 60xx)? 7024 has so much iron powder in the flux that it, along with its "weaker" cousin 7014's, need to run on the "hot" side of the spectrum.

The "270A" still falls below Inweld's 280-380 scale anyway. So, unfortunately, Inweld's brand are irrelevant to this discussion as well. Find a brand that first, manufactures and second, publishes that their 7024 1/4" electrodes will burn at 270A successfully and I'll make sure James F. Lincoln himself rolls over in his grave. :lol: I've run 1/4" 7024's and lots of them.
"Let's light the fire an' brief on guard.". RIP Lt. Col Stan "Red Dog" Nichols. USMC. Fighter Pilot. Korea, Vietnam. MCAS El Toro.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I've never used 7024 1/4" rod but here is Lincoln's listing with amp chart.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/g ... c21023.pdf
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Lets all go and buy 5 lb of this 1/4 7024 rod and try it out at 270 amp DCEN :roll: :o

But of course 5 lb of 1/4 7024 is only about 7 rods :lol:

Keep Cool 8-)

John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

All right...

I'm beginning to wonder if it wasn't 7/32...

All the charts suggest this is the biggest rod I could have used at 270A, and the machines were all 275A inverters, run almost wide open.

I've used many rods "outside" their specifications, but the power jump between 7/32 and 1/4 is a bit much for me to swallow.

Steve S

time wounds all heals :)

John :P

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

if your running a 7024 at a certain amperage on dc+, you can switch to dc- and run a lower amperage, and still control the puddle.

John :)

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Quite true, but I'm afraid, on reviewing my photo albums, I may have been confusing two jobs when I claimed to weld 1/4" jetrod at 270A.

On one job, welding wall sections, as I originally described, has Miller 500A deisel sources in the background of the pictures.

On another, welding "penthouse" roof sections, there were eight-packs of Lincoln 275A inverters.

Referring to the charts, I may be remembering the first job in place of the second.

So, I may have been talking out my arse while arguing this point, in which case I apologize for offerring up bad information from a questionable memory.

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:Quite true, but I'm afraid, on reviewing my photo albums, I may have been confusing two jobs when I claimed to weld 1/4" jetrod at 270A.

On one job, welding wall sections, as I originally described, has Miller 500A deisel sources in the background of the pictures.

On another, welding "penthouse" roof sections, there were eight-packs of Lincoln 275A inverters.

Referring to the charts, I may be remembering the first job in place of the second.

So, I may have been talking out my arse while arguing this point, in which case I apologize for offerring up bad information from a questionable memory.

Steve S

We all know what that's like... :)
Time wounds all heals.... :lol:
Thanks,
John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024