Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
agonzo79
    Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:07 pm

New guy to the forum. Currently in welding school and having trouble passing 3G stick plate test with backing strip. My bend tests cracks due to slap entrapment. I first started my amps at 105 with arc control at 50. I adjusted my amps to 120 and arc control still 50. After each pass I hit it with a wire wheel to get what ever slag I saw. My welds are looking good. Not sure what else I can do. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Make sure your plates are as tight as tight against the backing bar. Any gap will allow slag to flow in. Mike the bevels sharp as anything any open up the root gap as far as you are allowed. This will assist the arc in burning out any trapped slag.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

...and if allowed, start the arc off the test piece and wick into the root. Arc starts are a very easy place for slag to get into. If you have to stop, use a fresh rod on your restart. Restarting with an already used rod will also increase the likelihood of slag inclusions. (These 2 tidbits came to me from a pipeliner who has not failed an X-ray in over 20 years with rods, so it must work).
agonzo79

Thanks for tips! Will give it a another shot tomorrow.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

agonzo79 wrote:New guy to the forum. Currently in welding school and having trouble passing 3G stick plate test with backing strip. My bend tests cracks due to slap entrapment. I first started my amps at 105 with arc control at 50. I adjusted my amps to 120 and arc control still 50. After each pass I hit it with a wire wheel to get what ever slag I saw. My welds are looking good. Not sure what else I can do. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
Root pass on a backing plate, I always drag, rather than push, the rod. This lets the arc force push slag behind you, rather than building it in front of you. 10-15* is plenty. The tighter you can keep your arc length, the better. If you have an "arc force" control, set it about 1/3 of it's range. (around 3 if it's marked 1-10) With enough amps and dragging the rod, you can actually feel the flux scraping the bottom of the joint.

Two cents...

Steve S
agonzo79

*UPDATE*
I finally passed 3G stick today :) Thanks for the tips. Now onto the 4G overhead Stick!
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

agonzo79 wrote:*UPDATE*
I finally passed 3G stick today :) Thanks for the tips. Now onto the 4G overhead Stick!
Nice! Don't burn your ball sack too much. :lol:
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Farmwelding wrote:
agonzo79 wrote:*UPDATE*
Nice! Don't burn your ball sack too much. :lol:
Well it ain't going to burn itself! :lol: