It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:50 pm Advanced search

Rod Choice

Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects

Re: Rod Choice

Postby 301 » Sat May 13, 2017 6:56 am

Will do. Funny how before I got my machine I had too much junk laying around. Now it seems I don't have enough scrap steel at all.

Postby Arclight Ironworks » Sat May 13, 2017 7:29 pm

301 wrote:Hey all,
I recently purchased an ac/dc stick/tig machine mainly because I want to learn tig. My experience is solely aluminum mig. I picked up some lincoln 3/32 7018 to test out stick. Is the 7018 a good choice for learning stacking beads and is there another rod you would recommend during my learning process?
The machine is the alphatig 200x
Thanks
Chris

7018 (DC/AC), 6010 (DC), and 6011 (DC/AC). Master these. All other rods are "boutiquey" and not of code work in USA, generally. Don't do fancy. Stay basic.
Purpose, then passion; practitionership and practicality. Patience. Obsession and hard work. That's the discipline.
Arclight Ironworks

Postby 301 » Sat May 13, 2017 10:08 pm

I changed my lawn mower blades this morning. During the change my wife mentioned she wanted some kind of yard ornament to put by the garden to dress it up. The way the blades were laying gave me an idea. My first stick welding project began. She got a miniature windmill made out of bed rails and mower blades. My welds looked similar to bubble gum and cornmeal but you'd a thought I gave her a diamond ring.
I'll give the 6010's a try but I don't know if my machine will be able to do anything with them.
I'll upload a pic of the diamond ring if I can get past all the ads on photobucket.

Postby 301 » Sat May 13, 2017 10:24 pm

ImageRemember the important thing here is not how great or creative this is. The important thing is I'm king for the day and saved at least $30 from her buying something from a craft store.

Postby Otto Nobedder » Sat May 13, 2017 11:26 pm

301, I took a moment to edit your post so the picture shows, rather than just the link.

On photobucket, under "share this photo", select the IMG option, copy and paste it directly into your post here, and the photo will show with the post.

A nice simple project, requiring you to think, design, fit, and weld. Even if it's basic, it's experience in all the above. Plus, the wife's happy! Happy wife, happy life! (25 years' experience with that...)

Steve
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Postby 301 » Sun May 14, 2017 8:15 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:301, I took a moment to edit your post so the picture shows, rather than just the link.

On photobucket, under "share this photo", select the IMG option, copy and paste it directly into your post here, and the photo will show with the post.

A nice simple project, requiring you to think, design, fit, and weld. Even if it's basic, it's experience in all the above. Plus, the wife's happy! Happy wife, happy life! (25 years' experience with that...)

Steve

Thanks for the help.
We just made 24 years last month. Although she's real happy I think I'm getting the better end of the deal. Last night she started thinking of some other things that would be cool little projects. Not being one to let an opportunity pass by I said I would need additional tools for what she's wanting. We'll be looking at some tools next weekend.

Postby Poland308 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:24 am

Well played good sir! That's the method I used to buy my 210mp.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Sun May 14, 2017 10:05 am

Poland308 wrote:Well played good sir! That's the method I used to buy my 210mp.

Wow...I'm single and still can't buy one. Mostly because I don't like spending money-would love to buy a 210mp but I only use cash and that's a lot of money in cash...even though I do have it because who likes paying taxes :lol:
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby Poland308 » Sun May 14, 2017 10:19 am

Buy off the internet pay less tax. I was broke for the first 15 years of marriage. Just started to have some extra cash the last 4 years.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Sun May 14, 2017 10:59 am

Poland308 wrote:Buy off the internet pay less tax. I was broke for the first 15 years of marriage. Just started to have some extra cash the last 4 years.

I've bought very little off of the internet and when I did I had to get a middle man who has Amazon prime because beleive it or not you can't use cash on the internet
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

PreviousNext

Return to Stick Welding/Arc Welding - Shielded Metal Arc Welding