It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:37 am Advanced search

Weaving vs stringer and tips for a 3G test

Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects

Weaving vs stringer and tips for a 3G test

Postby Farmwelding » Fri May 12, 2017 10:35 pm

I've been working on my 3G stick with 7018 and been doing a little bit of everything. I watched Jodys video and talked to the instructor and they agree that there is still both in practice for vertical stick. Which is more common in what fields? I know guys like icweld and repair work run weaves but what is the difference. I've heard weaving puts in more heat and produces differences in the grain.-Jody

Learn both, but focus more on stringers/weaves, do both in a test?

Also any tips for 3G on 3/8" plate. I've been putting a root in with 1/8" Excalibur at around 115-129 amps with 2-3 fills with 3/32" on a weave or stringer at around 75 amps and then a weave cap with 1/8"around 120 amps.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Re: Weaving vs stringer and tips for a 3G test

Postby Poland308 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:10 pm

The tests I've taken on pipe all specified stringers. I make my stringers with a very slight weave. On field work I do either. Especially on sch 40 pipe or on socket welds I'll weave the cover but that's because after the root I only have room for a hot pas and then the cover. Or if it's low pressure stuff i.e. Under 100 psi (but not if it's steam or any kind of gas) sometimes it's just weave a cover after the root.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Fri May 12, 2017 11:13 pm

Poland308 wrote:The tests I've taken on pipe all specified stringers. I make my stringers with a very slight weave. On field work I do either. Especially on sch 40 pipe or on socket welds I'll weave the cover but that's because after the root I only have room for a hot pas and then the cover. Or if it's low pressure stuff i.e. Under 100 psi (but not if it's steam or any kind of gas) sometimes it's just weave a cover after the root.

What's the cut off point of running stringers with a slight weave say on a root pass vs a full weave? Size like 1/4" and above is a weave?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby Poland308 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:20 pm

Not a specific width. But a weave would have the tell tale signs in the trail that the puddle had totally cooled on one side while you were swinging over to the other side. There's a visible side to side pattern. I'll run a few sticks tomorrow and post a pic or two of the diferances.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby Otto Nobedder » Fri May 12, 2017 11:38 pm

A "stringer" lets you oscillate the thickness of the rod. For a 1/8" rod you can "weave" 1/8" and still call it a stringer.

Steve
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Postby kblenker#22 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:38 pm

An old wise welder once told me "when taking a welding test take every advantage they will allow you. Use the smallest rods allowed for control even if its on 1" plate. Grind smooth between passes even if you don't think it needs it. Always use stringers. Take your time and do it right. There is nothing worse than being the guy sweeping floors in the shop while everyone else is out welding because you were trying to do it fast and failed the test."
kblenker#22

Postby PeteM » Sat May 13, 2017 8:45 pm

You should also always check the WPS sheet and/or ask who ever is administering the test what the requirement is.
PeteM
Ace

Postby Farmwelding » Sat May 13, 2017 9:18 pm

PeteM wrote:You should also always check the WPS sheet and/or ask who ever is administering the test what the requirement is.

There is no WPS in this case-hell I don't have any papers like the rest of the students. The instructor invited me up to come burn rod when I could for free so he told me what to do with what and I did it. Learned a lot-7018s in general, horizontal, vertical techniques, job totes and what to look for, prepping plates, doing a bend test, what to look for when doing bend tests, fixing undercut, etc. He said do whichever for now because he knows I'll be back to officially take the class and pay for the credit so I will learn to do both regardless. I may want to get a thing with repairs on machinery so weaving may be helpful but I'll run stringers later or after I try to do a bend test on my 3G. Or maybe I'll try to run some overhead on a fillet just to get my foot wet. Right now my mind is on burning rod and getting some stuff down so I don't have to later.
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby PeteM » Sat May 13, 2017 10:01 pm

Farmwelding wrote: Right now my mind is on burning rod and getting some stuff down so I don't have to later.

That is a good place for it. Then when you have to do one for the money it won't matter if its stringer or weave, you'll just be able to hit it without hesitation.
PeteM
Ace

Postby Farmwelding » Sat May 13, 2017 10:07 pm

PeteM wrote:
Farmwelding wrote: Right now my mind is on burning rod and getting some stuff down so I don't have to later.

That is a good place for it. Then when you have to do one for the money it won't matter if its stringer or weave, you'll just be able to hit it without hesitation.

Doer of all master of none right. Find a sweet spot for everything but don't do only one and be limited to it. Especially if your like me and have no idea where you want to work(only have 1.5 years till I can start full time). I'm not wasting my time up there either. First one down last one up and bribing rod if I have to wait for something or talking shop with the instructors or another student. Trying to set up on a different machine every once in awhile to figure set up, settings, arc characeristics, features. Basically I'm dining what everyone has told me. Engage yourself. Don't just do what you have to do and then stand around drinking and eating. Hopefully with doing all this extra stuff I'll have time to hopefully do some pipe and more fab work.
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Next

Return to Stick Welding/Arc Welding - Shielded Metal Arc Welding