Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
cfs73
    Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:24 am

back in February of 2009 I purchased the Miller Renegade 180 with my tax return. And found out what a rip off this machine was. I could have bought a millermatic 180 welder and generator to run it for about 1/3 less than the 2300.00 I paid for the Renegade. Now I see the Renegade was discontinued and I contacted Miller to see if I could still get it repair/warranty work and this was their reply:[/b]
"The Renegade 180 shares many components with the Millermatic series and parts should remain available for this machine for a long time.
There are many different factors that marketing looks at when deciding to continue or discontinue a machine.
While our group does not have all the information, based on several factors the machine was decided to be discontinued."
I was going to purchase a tig welder this year with tax return but It sure won't be from Miller, as they are getting to unpredictable in their business and also, how long have they been owned by Illinois Tool Works? I thought miller was an independent company...forgive my rant, I just had to vent.
metlcre8or
    Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:06 pm

I feel your pain. I have a Miller Synchrowave 200 TIG that only works part-time. When I took it to the local Miller repair shop, they said,"why didn't you get a Synchrowave 250?". After they went through it and found nothing wrong, I used it for a few hours and it was back to giving a very weak arc. I know there is nothing wrong with my shop power, and my grounds, settings, tungsten, and metal are good because they haven't changed. Just all of a sudden the damn thing quit melting metal -- wouldn't even melt the filler rod! I have other trouble-free Miller, Lincoln, and "brand X" welders in my shop, but this unit has me pulling my hair out (and I don't have that much left). After talking with other Miller TIG users, I find that this isn't a rare experience.
Tombstone
    Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:15 pm

These are the reasons why I have "Miller Killer" decals on all of my Lincoln equipment!
"Let's light the fire an' brief on guard.". RIP Lt. Col Stan "Red Dog" Nichols. USMC. Fighter Pilot. Korea, Vietnam. MCAS El Toro.
capozzoli
    Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:07 pm

Wow, that sucks. I have never had a single problem with a Miller. I have a couple of miller machines that are over 25 years old and they have never been to the shop once. Well except for one that fell off a forklift. I have eight different types of Miller machines, none less the 10 years old, none of them have ever given me trouble.

In that time I have literally thrown out a couple of Lincoln MIG machines, they are junk. Went through a Hobart too they just peter out eventually and too extensive to repair.

Maybe Miller has lost it. The old machines are OK not sure if I will ever need new ones. I better go knock on some wood.
Welding everything from the crack of dawn to a broken heart.
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

I've never had any problems with Miller, either, except for some regular maintenance issues like hose liners. But I do feel that they are starting to cheapen their product in little ways here and there. For instance, the contol knobs on the new Millermatic 252 are cheap, loose fitting plastic p.o.s's. I also hate that door that hides the pullout "cheatsheet" too. It's another loosely fitted piece of plastic crap that's nearly broken off several time just by tring to open or close it.

These are little things in a big world, of course, but the little things can be the most annoying.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

cfs73 wrote: how long have they been owned by Illinois Tool Works? I thought miller was an independent company...forgive my rant, I just had to vent.
In 1993, following the death of the company's heir, Miller Electric formed an alliance with Illinois Tool Works, a multi-national company based in Chicago.
Approximately 100 worldwide acquisitions were made in the 1990's, including Akron Standard, Anchor Fasteners and Stampings, CS Packaging, DeVilbiss/Volstatic, Dynatec, Hobart Brothers Company, Miller Group, Orgapack, Trans Tech, United Silicone and Vortec.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator