Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

RamboBaby wrote:I had tried this twice, a couple of years ago, with 6011 and didn't get it out the back side on either try.
Another question:
How hard is it to transition from 2g/3g/4g plate to 6g pipe? I'm thinking that it won't be a big deal once these three open root positions are mastered.
That varies from person to person. I didn't see it as any big difference, but it does give some people a hell of a time.
    Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:For 1/8" 5p+ in a 1/8" gap, I run 105A. Yes, that's outside the suggested range by a little bit. For "bury-rod", it puts the root reinforcement where you want it, so long as you keep the rod 90* to the work, and with a good fit I don't need a hood to weld it once I'm started.

Steve
How in the heck do you weld it without a hood?
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

If you keep the rod buried real deep then you can't hardly see the arc. Just the reflection from inside the pipe. Only applies to the root pass.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Poland308 wrote:If you keep the rod buried real deep then you can't hardly see the arc. Just the reflection from inside the pipe. Only applies to the root pass.
And a lot of guys who do it every single day or often and get damn near the same fit up just place it in there and just feel it. It's all muscle memory. You can probably feel when you ride out of the bevel a little and you can hear when you're not in there well enough.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Farmwelding wrote:
Poland308 wrote:If you keep the rod buried real deep then you can't hardly see the arc. Just the reflection from inside the pipe. Only applies to the root pass.
And a lot of guys who do it every single day or often and get damn near the same fit up just place it in there and just feel it. It's all muscle memory. You can probably feel when you ride out of the bevel a little and you can hear when you're not in there well enough.
This is absolutely true. You will hear a difference when you roll over a tack.

I am NOT suggesting welding without a hood, obviously, but you can easily impress the uninformed if they ask you a question while welding, because you can raise your hood to answer them without breaking the arc. This stuns the shit out of the uninitiated.

Steve

Otto Nobedder wrote: I am NOT suggesting welding without a hood, obviously, but you can easily impress the uninformed if they ask you a question while welding, because you can raise your hood to answer them without breaking the arc. This stuns the shit out of the uninitiated.
Steve
I don't know if I'll ever be that good and I do want to learn how to pipe weld, though I don't think that doing it for a living is in the cards for me. I wilt if I have to work in the sun all day. I'm impressed just hearing that you can do this.....I don't even need to see it. My mind is already blown just by reading it.
Thanks guys!
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
Farmwelding

Yeah it is really funny watching them lift their hood up and do little weird dances and other weird stuff like humping the pipe(no Jeff this is not a free for all for you to make jokes about it it is just what they happen to do and no jokes about me watching them do it either) I guess if all you do is weld say 12" pipe you get pretty used to it and it probably gets boring so you find ways to entertain yourself.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick

Alright guys, life just threw me a curve ball. I bought the metal for my practice coupons but......a friend of mine showed his boss a few pictures of my tig welds and his boss told him to get me in there because he wants me to start work tomorrow morning. He said it would pay between $16 & $18/hr to start, welding mostly 11 gauge stainless. I don't even know what in the hell they make there but I'm assuming that it's most likely kitchen equipment. I've only ever had any practice on 16 gauge stainless and only, exactly, ONE of those welds turned out well. Pray for me guys because I'm gonna need all of the help that I can get! I'm taking my tig welder with me because Rick_H proved to me that this thing is a master of autogenous stainless welding in pulse mode.
I've been trying to get this kind of job for nearly four years and this one just fell into my lap.
HELP!!!!!!
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
Poland308

Breathe in. Breathe out. Be honest and tell the guy what you just said here. He probably just wants someone who won't stick the tungsten every 1/2 inch. What you already know will all transfer over. After a few days ss will be just like everything else you can already weld.

Josh

Thank you brother.
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

RamboBaby wrote:Alright guys, life just threw me a curve ball. I bought the metal for my practice coupons but......a friend of mine showed his boss a few pictures of my tig welds and his boss told him to get me in there because he wants me to start work tomorrow morning. He said it would pay between $16 & $18/hr to start, welding mostly 11 gauge stainless. I don't even know what in the hell they make there but I'm assuming that it's most likely kitchen equipment. I've only ever had any practice on 16 gauge stainless and only, exactly, ONE of those welds turned out well. Pray for me guys because I'm gonna need all of the help that I can get! I'm taking my tig welder with me because Rick_H proved to me that this thing is a master of autogenous stainless welding in pulse mode.
I've been trying to get this kind of job for nearly four years and this one just fell into my lap.
HELP!!!!!!
Congrats man - keep practicing and go get 'em :)

I had some thin stainless dropped off at my place a while back.
Had to be food grade when done, $500 worth of material, I spent 8 hours practicing for 5-6hrs of work.... :shock:

But it's my part-time side work, so it worked out :D

As far as help goes, need pics - but I can tell you that using the right amount of amps so you can start moving right away is important.

Dawdling around and you'll just cook it. Colors will go dark.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

I got started @$12/hr and was told that if all goes well then I'll get boosted to $15/hr after one month. I think my welds look terrible but these guys are extremely pleased. When the owner saw how much I had done and how it looked, he boosted me up to $14/hr. I think my welds look like total shit but these guys think they're great. I'm not gonna argue. These are mostly veryical welds and it only took me a couple of tries to figure out that down hill is the way to go.
Attachments
20170527_154206.jpg
20170527_154206.jpg (29.41 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
20170527_154223.jpg
20170527_154223.jpg (29.19 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
Poland308

If that's how they feel then it sounds like a great place for you to get some experience on ss.

Josh
Farmwelding

:o BSX gloves?!?!?!? There is a traitor amongst us! Nah I'm just playing. I have a BSX jacket from before the whole tig finger thing but it's getting replaced because I hate it.

As for the job-more money for getting better is always a good thing. What is that part in the picture for?
Nick

Conveyor for a cake factory.
My big toes hurt from welding on my knees all day. I can't feed rod with my right hand and didn't realize it until today. That's making this a lot harder than it has to be.
Edit:
Even at 105amps their aircooled torch sux! I gotta make an outlet adapter so I can use my own rig with a watercooled torch. This crap gets hot, quick. I don't have enough tig fingers to stop the pain.
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
Popeye the old miner
    Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:29 pm

Good Luck and best wishes on your new adventure
Farmwelding

Is that normal pay for that work down there? We have a local stainless trailer company who hires tig welders like you all stainless welding at similar material thickness and they pay $18-$20 starting tig welding. Of course I live in the heart of overpriced manufacturing jobs apparently but...
Nick

No, not typical pay. I think their main guy makes about $22/hr but they can't get any work out of him anymore. I think the guy has a drug problem and I'm gonna be replacing him fully as soon as they've had time to assess my performance. I was told that I did more in three hours than their main guy had done in an entire week. The boss really just wants someone who will show up and actually work. Now you know how I got the job. The boss likes me because I actually work like I'm supposed to, rather than how I feel like doing.
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Haha! Best thread ever. Starts out with some questions about 6010, turns into "Got a job tig welding".

Congrats man.

Thanks Pete. I'm just as surprised as you are.
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
olek
    Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:07 pm

PeteM wrote:I can't be sure about other machines, but the last open root I ran was on a miller dynasty. The arc force/dig was set at a little past 12:00 and ran like a champ, so maybe 60%?

The main thing with open root is getting the stick through to the back side without poking it all the way out the other side. You have to listen for it to make a hollow shooooo sound (even on plate). If it isn't doing that the tip isn't placed right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAKoA8ng5-M

This vid by Jody is pretty much text book. He's whipping. I try to drag. Tomatoes/tomatoes. There is also a new vid up on weld dot coms channel that has the sound perfectly. One other thing to keep in mind with 6010 is that the slag forms as it cools, so when the metal is going down, what you see is what you're getting. With the reinforcement on back, the bead should only be filling the root gap to the top of the land (root face). You kind of have to drag the rod a little forward of the pool.

It takes a little bit for it to all come together, but once it does you'll wonder what the big deal was. It's like pulling up a zipper.

edit: Also, don't know if you do it or not but- the back side has to be clean too. You will not get good fusion if the backside has mill scale on it.

edit#2: there is also a vid on the afore mentioned channel that demonstrates dragging open root on plate perfectly. Notice how he leads the pool forward through the weld.
Hello

I find interesting to look at those videos again regularly, each time understanding better what is going on (due to training)

What kind of rod would I use for root pass open root if I cannot get 6010 ? AS I understand it it should work with a relatively low amp setting, would SS rod 308 do the trick ? (I could find SS plate if it is necessary but on steel, what kind of steel would do ?)

A link to the drag open root if you have it at hand ? thanks
Thank you
Pianos , restorer and tuner
Dedicated to learn welding since april
slowly learning ;) not complaining of doing beads and beads
pro inverter PROGYS 200 FV PFC CEL+tig lift
OA Oxyflam 1000 cutting and welding gas torch