It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:10 pm Advanced search

Another 6010 Question.

Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects

Re: Another 6010 Question.

Postby PeteM » Wed May 24, 2017 9:05 pm

RamboBaby wrote:I had tried this twice, a couple of years ago, with 6011 and didn't get it out the back side on either try.
Another question:
How hard is it to transition from 2g/3g/4g plate to 6g pipe? I'm thinking that it won't be a big deal once these three open root positions are mastered.

That varies from person to person. I didn't see it as any big difference, but it does give some people a hell of a time.
PeteM
Ace

Postby RamboBaby » Wed May 24, 2017 10:25 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:For 1/8" 5p+ in a 1/8" gap, I run 105A. Yes, that's outside the suggested range by a little bit. For "bury-rod", it puts the root reinforcement where you want it, so long as you keep the rod 90* to the work, and with a good fit I don't need a hood to weld it once I'm started.

Steve

How in the heck do you weld it without a hood?
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
Everlast Power i-MIG 205
Longevity Stickweld 250
Harbor Freight Welding Magnets (badass & cheap)
RamboBaby
Heavy Hitter

Postby Poland308 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:40 pm

If you keep the rod buried real deep then you can't hardly see the arc. Just the reflection from inside the pipe. Only applies to the root pass.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Wed May 24, 2017 10:55 pm

Poland308 wrote:If you keep the rod buried real deep then you can't hardly see the arc. Just the reflection from inside the pipe. Only applies to the root pass.

And a lot of guys who do it every single day or often and get damn near the same fit up just place it in there and just feel it. It's all muscle memory. You can probably feel when you ride out of the bevel a little and you can hear when you're not in there well enough.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby Otto Nobedder » Wed May 24, 2017 11:30 pm

Farmwelding wrote:
Poland308 wrote:If you keep the rod buried real deep then you can't hardly see the arc. Just the reflection from inside the pipe. Only applies to the root pass.

And a lot of guys who do it every single day or often and get damn near the same fit up just place it in there and just feel it. It's all muscle memory. You can probably feel when you ride out of the bevel a little and you can hear when you're not in there well enough.

This is absolutely true. You will hear a difference when you roll over a tack.

I am NOT suggesting welding without a hood, obviously, but you can easily impress the uninformed if they ask you a question while welding, because you can raise your hood to answer them without breaking the arc. This stuns the shit out of the uninitiated.

Steve
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Postby RamboBaby » Thu May 25, 2017 7:10 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:I am NOT suggesting welding without a hood, obviously, but you can easily impress the uninformed if they ask you a question while welding, because you can raise your hood to answer them without breaking the arc. This stuns the shit out of the uninitiated.
Steve

I don't know if I'll ever be that good and I do want to learn how to pipe weld, though I don't think that doing it for a living is in the cards for me. I wilt if I have to work in the sun all day. I'm impressed just hearing that you can do this.....I don't even need to see it. My mind is already blown just by reading it.
Thanks guys!
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
Everlast Power i-MIG 205
Longevity Stickweld 250
RamboBaby
Heavy Hitter

Postby Farmwelding » Thu May 25, 2017 7:26 am

Yeah it is really funny watching them lift their hood up and do little weird dances and other weird stuff like humping the pipe(no Jeff this is not a free for all for you to make jokes about it it is just what they happen to do and no jokes about me watching them do it either) I guess if all you do is weld say 12" pipe you get pretty used to it and it probably gets boring so you find ways to entertain yourself.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby RamboBaby » Fri May 26, 2017 4:56 pm

Alright guys, life just threw me a curve ball. I bought the metal for my practice coupons but......a friend of mine showed his boss a few pictures of my tig welds and his boss told him to get me in there because he wants me to start work tomorrow morning. He said it would pay between $16 & $18/hr to start, welding mostly 11 gauge stainless. I don't even know what in the hell they make there but I'm assuming that it's most likely kitchen equipment. I've only ever had any practice on 16 gauge stainless and only, exactly, ONE of those welds turned out well. Pray for me guys because I'm gonna need all of the help that I can get! I'm taking my tig welder with me because Rick_H proved to me that this thing is a master of autogenous stainless welding in pulse mode.
I've been trying to get this kind of job for nearly four years and this one just fell into my lap.
HELP!!!!!!
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
Everlast Power i-MIG 205
Longevity Stickweld 250
RamboBaby
Heavy Hitter

Postby Poland308 » Fri May 26, 2017 7:02 pm

Breathe in. Breathe out. Be honest and tell the guy what you just said here. He probably just wants someone who won't stick the tungsten every 1/2 inch. What you already know will all transfer over. After a few days ss will be just like everything else you can already weld.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby RamboBaby » Fri May 26, 2017 7:47 pm

Thank you brother.
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
Everlast Power i-MIG 205
Longevity Stickweld 250
RamboBaby
Heavy Hitter

PreviousNext

Return to Stick Welding/Arc Welding - Shielded Metal Arc Welding