Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
genesis
    Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:19 pm

I'm not a welder, and never will be. I don't know much about welders, but I want something cheap, simple, and with reasonable power for my first welder to "play with" and learn a bit about stick welding. I was going to get the Everlast PowerARC200 stick welder for $300. http://www.everlastgenerators.com/Power ... 91-pd.html But they're not in stock, and Everlast hasn't answered my requests for an expected delivery date. So now I'm thinking of getting the Northern Industrial Arc 200 230 Volt, 200 Amp Arc Welder, Model AC4180 for $149.99 http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200381950 I believe the PowerARC 200 is DC, and the Northern Industrial ARC 200 is AC, but I could be mistaken. As they're both 200 AMPS, I assume they have equal power. (I usually get in to trouble when I "assume" anything.) The Everlast is an inverter, and I think the Northern Industrial is a transformer. Does AC vs DC mean much for stick welding? I'm not to concerned about "duty cycle", as I tend to work slow at 65 years old. I've read some reviews on both, and they both seem OK. After I play and learn to stick weld "reasonable well", I was think of of building a simple ATV log arch like this: http://www.logrite.com/fetchingarch.html Most of my power tools (all Ryobi) just sit and collect dust (and after awhile I expect any welder I buy will to), but they do come in handy once in awhile. Is one of these welders really "that much better" than the other? I doubt I'll put 30 hours on any welder I buy. But if I really get in to this welding thing, I can always get something better later. Any insight you fellas can offer on the Northern Industrial stick welder vs the Everlast stick welder will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys

Don <><

Update: Everlast just informed me that they should have the PowerARC200 in 4 to 6 weeks.
To wait or not to wait. That is the question.
GWD
    Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

Waiting depends on whether you want a 30 day money back offer and 5 year warranty from Everlast. What's the hurry - you've been around for years without welding so a couple of more weeks shouldn't make much difference. (Although I can relate to the "want it now" feeling.)

Everlast has a lot of satisfied users, including Jody.

It appears to be an AC only transformer model as you noted. Look at the low duty cycle rating. If you want a toy than the NI is it. For some people that would be the perfect machine. It is up to you to decide but my bet is that regret would appear sooner than later.
Wobulate
    Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 am

GWD,

Does the welder need to be man-portable ?
If not, and Stick (SMAW) is all that you plan to do, then consider a Miller Thunderbolt XL 225/150 AC/DC.
Or, if you prefer the other color consider a Lincoln AC/DC 225/125.

I bet 95% of the weldor's on this forum started with either of these two welders, and they most likely still have these in their shop.

Wob
WOB
Lincoln,Precision TIG225
Miller,Millermatic 251
Miller,Spoolmatic 30A
Miller,Millermatic 130XP
Miller,Spectrum 625
Miller,Thunderbolt 225AC
KMG,Belt Grinder/2x72
Ingersoll Rand,Compressor/5HP
MSC/Vectrax,Band Saw Horizontal-Vertical/7x12
GWD
    Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

Wobulate wrote:GWD,

Does the welder need to be man-portable ?
If not, and Stick (SMAW) is all that you plan to do, then consider a Miller Thunderbolt XL 225/150 AC/DC.
Or, if you prefer the other color consider a Lincoln AC/DC 225/125.

I bet 95% of the weldor's on this forum started with either of these two welders, and they most likely still have these in their shop.

Wob
I (GWD) am not the OP.

Your post indicates that you recommend a welder with a DC function. I totally agree. The NI welder is AC only.

I'm one of the 95% and have two Lincoln tombstones (AC and AC/DC) stored in the barn.

You are correct that the transformer welders are quite heavy. The OP didn't mention whether weight is a factor.

The Everlast PowerArc 200 is an inverter, quite portable (38 pounds), is DC, and has a 60% duty cycle at 200A.

The NI has a 10% duty cycle at 180A. Draw your own conclusions.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Given my choice, I'll take DC every time.

Duty cycle isn't really a factor; I've never been above 120A for a 1/8 7018 rod, and a hobbyist doesn't need the deposit rate of a 5/32 rod. DC also gives you the option of adding a "scratch start" TIG in the future. An AC/DC machine gives you more versatility at the beginning, and more choices for add-ons later.

The light weight of an inverter will also be a blessing. Trust me on this. I've used inverters in an industrial construction setting, and they are worth their (light) weight in gold.

Steve