Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
ctmaybury
    Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:40 pm

Musical timimg would help. I should get a metronome like a beginning musician. I have to right everything down or I can't remember what worked and what didn't. I too keep a weld log lately so I can repeat settimgs that worked.

I'm still working on my engine driven legend. It sat for years unused and I didn't put it to bed properly. I should have blown the gas out of the carb. I now have to restore the carb. I want to replace the fine amperage control on it too before putting it back in service. I gave it all new tuneup parts last year. It's a good old welder worth the restoration effort. I ran 1/8 inch 7018 on it all day 30 years ago. I split the ground and had 2 guys setting up clamping chipping painting and stacking and I just went back and forth doimg the same flat weld all day. It truely was a 100% duty cycle.
Miller legend, dialarc, spectum 500
Hobart handler 187
Oxy acetylene
olek
    Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:07 pm

BTW , stringers vs weave ?

Are beads the result from electrode manipulation and stringers the "straight" beads ?

Sorry this is not my language , so I learn ;)

My neighbor come for a help sometime, he did weld tubing for water in asia 30 years ago (he is vietnamese)

First time he tried on the old "buzz box 180A" that I had borrowed, he made a perfect bead ;)

I was tempted to buy a second hand industrial model, but as a beginner this sounded a little risky , and also there are fiew models that work on mono 220V, most use 3 phase 380V

But some of those old TIG plus MMA, plus water coolant, can be find for about 300 USD , and those are very robust outdoor machines, that can be repaired more easily than modern inverters.

May be I will try to get one later , the AC mode is certainly better than on cheaper models from 30 years ago

AC DC Amp https://m.fr.aliexpress.com/item/2050159926.html 30 days delay , often free shipment , not in that case but I ordered 4 plastic sealed boxes for electrodes, about 8 USD each , no shipment cost (those boxes are not sold in France)
You may find an AC amp on Amazon or similar, for a small price
You may have checked that all screws are tight, clean etc ( an ultra sonic bath may help with your gas equipment ?)

Best regards
Pianos , restorer and tuner
Dedicated to learn welding since april
slowly learning ;) not complaining of doing beads and beads
pro inverter PROGYS 200 FV PFC CEL+tig lift
OA Oxyflam 1000 cutting and welding gas torch