It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:04 am Advanced search

7018 basic tips

Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects

Re: 7018 basic tips

Postby Ruark » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:04 pm

PeteM wrote:I'm sure there are some numbers to it for travel speed through a weld with a given electrode, at X current, etc. but what it usually comes down to is not going too fast or too slow, but "just right".

That's where the art of welding occurs. The science of it (numbers, etc.) is important to know, but the art is in the application.

This is true. Even if you do weld at a higher amp setting, it's ultimately you who controls the result.
Ruark

Postby olek » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:15 pm

Ruark wrote:
PeteM wrote:I'm sure there are some numbers to it for travel speed through a weld with a given electrode, at X current, etc. but what it usually comes down to is not going too fast or too slow, but "just right".

That's where the art of welding occurs. The science of it (numbers, etc.) is important to know, but the art is in the application.

This is true. Even if you do weld at a higher amp setting, it's ultimately you who controls the result.

Yes I did see such computations, some in a cell phone appli "smart welding solution " or welder pocket helper.
I think that at least knowing how much rods you will need for a given weld joint is a good help to make a price.

It seem to be admitted anyway that welders differ somehow. Even if the precision expected do not leave much room for improvisation.
Pianos , restorer and tuner
Dedicated to learn welding since april
slowly learning ;) not complaining of doing beads and beads
pro inverter PROGYS 200 FV PFC CEL+tig lift
OA Oxyflam 1000 cutting and welding gas torch
olek
Guide

Postby olek » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:27 pm

Something I do not understand

If I raise the hot start feature from 20 to 40 , the 7018 tend to stick .

I have no idea why . Is it because a blob of metal is ejected from the rod due to too much tension ?

Also I have sometimes the slag looking like that:

https://goo.gl/photos/FVE8kh6QPPCKVn2b7

The weld is OK but ...

What is the cause ? (may be the block is too hot and need to be cooled ? )Thanks
Last edited by olek on Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olek
Guide

Postby olek » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:02 pm

Ruark wrote:
Focus on your puddle. Notice how if you change your angle or speed, the shape of the puddle changes slightly. It becomes narrower or wider or taller or whatever. Focus on keeping that puddle the exact, exact same size and shape as you move along. This is why so many veteran welders say things like "focus on the puddle" or "become one with the puddle." Remember, you weld with the puddle, not with the stick. Eventually you are able to react (by changing your angle or speed) to what you see the puddle doing, automatically, without really thinking about it. Focus. On. The puddle.

Seeya.

Thank you for tge restart tip, very useful. I think it is going better. I focus on the puddle even if it is not always easy.

Actually I try to see the puddle digging, but to keep the slag above it without having it moving any direction ( I suppose that as the slag is floating and we spray metal and gas on it it is normal to see it move, but what tells me that I am not having too much heat is the perimeter of the puddle. It should not enlarge easily, the perimeter should be delimited and quiet)

I hold the rod very lightly , I feel it touching the bottom from time to time, I am in the mood of letting the rod "do it thing" I am just orienting it , pulling it or pushing a hair in z motion so it dig vertical and flat, or on both sides of a corner.

Dave suggest a high ampere range, is it to make a specific welding technique where the welder moves fast ( I suppose any experienced welder will finally work fast) ?

May be also, once mastering the slow motion , it may be less tiring to speed up ( seem to me that the stress may help to concentrate more , so one stay more relax just to master better the puddle )

What do you think ?
olek
Guide

Postby MinnesotaDave » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:23 pm

olek wrote:
Dave suggest a high ampere range, is it to make a specific welding technique where the welder moves fast ( I suppose any experienced welder will finally work fast) ?

May be also, once mastering the slow motion , it may be less tiring to speed up ( seem to me that the stress may help to concentrate more , so one stay more relax just to master better the puddle )

What do you think ?

I don't recall saying anything about higher amps for moving faster - but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I like higher amps so the puddle wets out easier.

Running too cold makes it much harder than it has to be - as a side benefit, it does go a little faster though.

If I want speed I'll increase the rod size and amperage so that I lay down more metal.

I do like to run higher amps specifically for speed on TIG however :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger

Postby olek » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:46 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:
olek wrote:

What do you think ?

I don't recall saying anything about higher amps for moving faster - but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I like higher amps so the puddle wets out easier.

Running too cold makes it much harder than it has to be - as a side benefit, it does go a little faster though.

If I want speed I'll increase the rod size and amperage so that I lay down more metal.

I do like to run higher amps specifically for speed on TIG however :D

How is it faster with less amp ? I understand that faster cooking means faster moving

You say the puddle wets faster., OK but does it enlarge too ?

I think you said you run 125 135 A at least for 1/8 rod 7018.

In the end it may relate mostly to the steel thickness or quality is not it ? I mostly weld on 1/4 ' steel rarely thicker. What level of amp would you use then ?

A friend of mine say 20A for one mm . For instance. The speed of the cooling relates to metal thickness is not it ?
olek
Guide

Postby MinnesotaDave » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:05 pm

olek wrote:I think you said you run 125 135 A at least for 1/8 rod 7018.

In the end it may relate mostly to the steel thickness or quality is not it ? I mostly weld on 1/4 ' steel rarely thicker. What level of amp would you use then ?

A friend of mine say 20A for one mm . For instance. The speed of the cooling relates to metal thickness is not it ?

With an 1/8" 7018 I commonly run 125-135 amps.

Less than 125 amps I don't like because the puddle is too cold and doesn't wet out the toes (edges) as easily.

Each rod has a range that they weld best in. For me, I take the recommended ranges and stay in the upper half.

If I need fewer amps, I drop down a rod size to 3/32" 7018 and run those 80-100 amps depending on what I need.

One overall general rule: don't use a rod thicker than your metal.

That's it, no need to make it complicated.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger

Postby Poland308 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:30 pm

I'm with Dave. Drop down to 3/32 rods. Run about 75-95 amps depending on position. You will end up with a lot more control.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby olek » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:27 am

I see . I used 150 160A on the block I did 1F ( with the electrodes the size above 1/8)
Sure went well. But I had much spatter (as soon the base metal get hot may be ).

I noticed how the arc was lively and it was easy to obtain the puddle.

Do you think spatter can relate to the block getting too hot ?
I lowered about 10A less and reduced them but not totally
olek
Guide

Postby olek » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:12 pm

Hello

What is the most probable cause of that slag?
1/8 esab 48.00 about 115A

I noticed that I need to speed somehow when passed the middle but here I did not.
I made small Z keeping the puddle shape and size

It happened also when welding flatter

https://goo.gl/photos/5hnKdDunfgrE9jW36

Slag very thin. I thought not enough angle or too slow (the puddle slips), Are the edges too cold?

Thank you

My welder runs with 220v and haves high Uo at 108v

May be it is why 125A seem to be too hot. (much spatter, tempest on the puddle)

Indeed I finished with smaller electrodes at 98A running fast and it was easier
Last edited by olek on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olek
Guide

PreviousNext

Return to Stick Welding/Arc Welding - Shielded Metal Arc Welding