Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
User_4
    Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:55 pm

Hello everyone! I am a beginner welder, and I'm just sort of playing with a small Lincoln Electric Inverter 120 in my garage.

I was hoping that some of the people on this forum could help me with the first problem I have encountered, what size electrodes to use for what thickness of stock (mild steel).
A chart.
A chart.
Stock.PNG (33.89 KiB) Viewed 656 times
I have attached a small chart in PNG form to this post, if anyone could help me fill out the "6011" column, it would be greatly appreciated! Those three electrodes are the only types my machine is rated to melt.

The other thing I was curious about is whether or not stick electrodes can go "bad"! I bought some 3/32 6011 electrodes from Canadian Tire, but was not able to have much luck with them. My machine is rated to melt these electrodes, but I was able to lay a better bead using 1/8 6013 electrodes (for which my machine is not rated to melt), than I could with these 6011's. This is leading me to consider the possibility that the electrodes are no good?

Any information would be appriciated!
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

The Miller stick welding calculator will get you in the ballpark - adjust to taste.

https://www.millerwelds.com/resources/w ... calculator
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

User_4 wrote:I was able to lay a better bead using 1/8 6013 electrodes (for which my machine is not rated to melt), than I could with these 6011's. This is leading me to consider the possibility that the electrodes are no good?
Hey, welcome to the forum!

When you say "better bead" do you mean a visually more appealing bead? 6011 rods are characterized as "fast freeze" rods, meaning the weld puddle changes from liquid to solid quickly. They tend to leave a rougher, choppier looking bead.

Some electrodes can go bad because their flux coating can pick up moisture from the air. 7018 electrodes, for instance, absorb moisture easily due to the composition of their flux coating, but 6011 is not prone to this. If your 6011s are fairly new, not rusty, and the flux coating is not flaking or chipping off, they should be ok.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

#4, welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200