It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:43 pm Advanced search

Clue me in on Stick for Bush Hog Weld

Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects

Clue me in on Stick for Bush Hog Weld

Postby Chips O'Toole » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:30 pm

I haven't been around because I moved, and then Hurricane Irma screwed up my life. I have not had time to put a 240 circuit in my new shop, so no welding. I am back today with questions about stick.

I have a bush hog that needs to have a weld replaced. The apron is loose on one corner, and it flaps around. It will eventually break the next weld up the line.

I have no MIG right now, and TIG would never work on this filthy thing. That leaves me with stick, which I have never done. My TIG machine (AlphaTIG) will do stick on 110V. I am hoping it will be powerful enough for this job, at least to hold it until I get some real power. I would be welding material around 3/16" in thickness. I would describe it as a lap weld. I need to lay down about 1-1/2".

My main question right now is this: is E7018 a good choice? This is a dirty piece of farm machinery. I can grind off the old weld and clean up the area fairly well, but it will not be anywhere near TIG clean.
Wendell doesn't eat, nobody eats.
Chips O'Toole
Ace

Re: Clue me in on Stick for Bush Hog Weld

Postby MinnesotaDave » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:37 pm

3/16" will weld very nicely with 3/32" 7018 with the prep you describe. 85-100 amps, adjusted to taste.

Practice first, weld after :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger

Postby cj737 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:05 pm

To add to Dave's post, if you have not done any Stick welding, if possible, orient the weld so it's flat to you. It's much easier to learn to stick this way than to chase a horizontal weld. And 7018 will NOT weld downhill, only vertical uphill.
cj737
Weldmonger

Postby MinnesotaDave » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:17 pm

Almost forgot - stick is awesome! :D

When you get more power, you'll love 1/8" and 5/32" for laying down metal.

Even bigger rods just pour metal down :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger

Postby Chips O'Toole » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:38 pm

Thanks for the help. I have nothing whatsoever to practice on, so I may have to use the grinder to clear away my crap beads so I can start over.

Tonight I ground off two fractured welds that were in the way. It turns out the apron is not merely broken, but bent, so when you pinch it back together to weld it, the deck of the bush hog tries to sit on the location of a former weld. There is no way in hell I can bend the I-beam the apron is made from, so I'm going to have to weld it back about 3/16" away from the original position. At least it won't flap.

I have a generator, and I'm waiting for an adaptor cord to come in. I could use that to fire up the MIG, but I would only get about 20 amps input. I suppose that would be enough.

I guess I could add a couple more welds, between the originals.
Chips O'Toole
Ace

Postby Artie F. Emm » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:44 pm

Sorry to hear about your Irma troubles.

Do you have a 220v clothes dryer circuit you could tap into?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Artie F. Emm
Weldmonger

Postby Chips O'Toole » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:54 pm

Yes, but I haven't been able to get the tractor into the laundry room.
Chips O'Toole
Ace

Postby Artie F. Emm » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:51 am

Chips O'Toole wrote:Yes, but I haven't been able to get the tractor into the laundry room.

Oh, THAT old excuse. :-)

I've been fortunate in that I've had a window in the laundry room to run an extension cord outside, forgot that might not be the case for everyone.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Artie F. Emm
Weldmonger

Postby Chips O'Toole » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:30 am

I just moved into a house that has a fantastic workshop, but the shop is about a hundred feet from the house. The washer and dryer are in a dedicated room that has no windows and no exterior doors. I can't wait to get 240 in the shop.
Chips O'Toole
Ace

Postby Chips O'Toole » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:15 pm

People say stick is the easiest way to weld. I will have to take their words for that. I succeeded in fixing the bush hog, but the welds are atrocious. I plan to grind them back and try again, but right now I need the tractor, so I let it go.

Second photo is from a distance, to show the nature of the repair. The first one is up close, to show the heinosity of my welding.

I thought the stinger was connected to the foot pedal, so I laid the electrode on the bush hog and turned the welder on. When I picked it up, I got the first welding flash of my life. Okay. It's always live. Good to know.

I stuck the electrode about 400 times in four inches of welding. It was difficult to keep the arc going. I don't know if I had the welder on the best settings. I used AC and about 60 Hz, based on something I saw in a video.

Anyway, it does function. It's nice to know l can use the AlphaTIG on 110 when I have to.
Attachments
08 20 17 bush hog weld up close small.jpg
08 20 17 bush hog weld up close small.jpg (40.87 KiB) Viewed 421 times
08 20 17 bush hog weld from distance small.jpg
08 20 17 bush hog weld from distance small.jpg (54.34 KiB) Viewed 421 times
Chips O'Toole
Ace

Next

Return to Stick Welding/Arc Welding - Shielded Metal Arc Welding