Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I used some .023 for floor pans and stiffener plates. I would have boxed in the frame for my buddy but a full time shop cut him a deal and then powder coated the whole frame.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

KenK wrote:If you intend to do quite a bit of this and it looks like you have a serious project going on, a wire machine is the way to go period.
I could not agree more with this ^^^
As for flux wire welding, I personally do not like flux wire at all. It is real messy (lots of spatter) and requires a lot of cleanup and it really limits what you can do. When you need to thin metal like body panels, 0.035 flux wire will not work.
True, 0.035 is too heavy a wire, but you can get Flux Core in thinner wire. And I too, would not use Flux Core for body panels, but a frame, sure. I actually like SilBronze in my MIG machine for body panels. It uses less heat, grinds down easier, and certainly is strong enough for a body seam.
If you look around, you might find a used small gas capable wire machine around.
I've got one, if you'e close enough ;)
KenK
    Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:44 am

I have never heard of Sil/Bronze wire. I do on occasion do quite a bit of real thin steel. When I have to do this I generally use my TIG machine for better heat control.

What kind of gas would you use with Sil/Bronze wire??

Would that be kind of like brazing with o/a??

Relatively new, I have been welding with MIG for years using a cheap 110 amp gas MIG. Last year I finallly stepped up and bought a Miller Mig ( about 185 amp). What a difference!! I have been doing TIG for about 2 years but I am only a hobbyist not a pro by any means.

Ken
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Yes it’s more like brazing. If done right. Argon will work just fine. I’ve also done 45% silver braze with the tig as well only used 100% Argon.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
KenK
    Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:44 am

Thanks for the tip.

I'll have to get ma a spool of Sil/Bronze. There are a lot of times when Brazing would be a good option.

Ken
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

KenK wrote:I have never heard of Sil/Bronze wire. I do on occasion do quite a bit of real thin steel. When I have to do this I generally use my TIG machine for better heat control.

What kind of gas would you use with Sil/Bronze wire??

Would that be kind of like brazing with o/a??

Relatively new, I have been welding with MIG for years using a cheap 110 amp gas MIG. Last year I finallly stepped up and bought a Miller Mig ( about 185 amp). What a difference!! I have been doing TIG for about 2 years but I am only a hobbyist not a pro by any means.

Ken
When TIG with SilBr, use Argon. With MIG, use 75/25 like normal. You will use less heat with both processes with SilBro wire as you don’t melt the base metal, but only the filler.