Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Goose989
    Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:34 pm

Hello I understand that i am a beginner but I was told by my instructor at school told me to do a 6010 root 7018 hot pass and fill and cap with tig. I thought if you where going to have tig as a process you do tig root and hot pass and then fill and cap with either stick mig or flux core. Please enlighten me on this process. Thank you in advance
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Not always. Many tests are designed to meet qualifications of specific materials and processes. Not things that are common in the field. This kind of a test would show perspective employers that you could do a 6010 root and a 7018 hot pass. Depending on test coupon thickness and test peramiters it may even qualify you to do a 6010 root and 7018 all the way out weld. The tig portion may qualify you to tig weld all the way out including the root. I'm not knowledgeable enough yet about all the ins and outs of test qualls, compared to code work. However tig root and hot pass with stick out the rest of the way is pretty common in process pipe and refrigeration work where internal cleanliness is paramount.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200