Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
burnttoast
    Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:28 am

Hello all, haven't posted in awhile. still practicing my stick welding. usually before I weld I always wear ear plugs since I'll be using the angle grinder. Toady was in a hurry and forgot to plug up my ears. anyway. this is the first time I've actually heard the welding process. and it is pretty loud. how important is it to hear the sound of the welding process, or is it more visual? I've heard that it's suppose to sound like sizzling bacon. but it was pretty loud and when I slowed, I could see the puddle really digging into the metal. I'm using a lincoln buzz box at 75 amps 3/32 rods on 1/4 and 5/16 plate. was just practicing. Thanks
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I use both visual and audio for welding. Especially during stick and wire feeding. I can tell if my ctwd is too long by the sound and adjust till I hear it. With stick it depends on the rod. 6010 I have a specific sound I like to hear on the forward whip so I know if I have the arc length I want. If I have too much rod angle I can hear it in a 7018 easily on top of seeing it.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

It is definitely loud enough to hear the weld and have it help you.

However, if a person never practices welding without being able to hear it, the first time in a loud area that completely drowns it out feels very, very strange.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

I never really got the bacon frying analogy. To me it sounds like either good or bad welding.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

PeteM wrote:I never really got the bacon frying analogy. To me it sounds like either good or bad welding.
You obviously missed the day in school where they thighs the most important lesson: everything is better with bacon on it! Even your welds :D
Lightning
    Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm

What I hear, mainly, is the 60Hz hum. I guess there's kind of a bacon sizzling sound...
mcostello
    Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:21 am

I use a drag rod and mine sounds like pot roast. :)
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Lightning wrote:What I hear, mainly, is the 60Hz hum. I guess there's kind of a bacon sizzling sound...
AC buzzbox is also going to give different sounds.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
PeteM

cj737 wrote:
PeteM wrote:I never really got the bacon frying analogy. To me it sounds like either good or bad welding.
You obviously missed the day in school where they thighs the most important lesson: everything is better with bacon on it! Even your welds :D
I'm going to have to start using strips of it as heat sink/anti-spatter combo then. :D

No joke- The one barge manufacturer out of Chattanooga used to use some kind of rendered pig fat as an anti-rust/sealer inside the rakes of barges. We'd get them in for reconditioning and have to weld up new rake sheets. The stuff would melt and spatter all over us and we'd come out of them smelling like fried bacon.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

PeteM wrote:The stuff would melt and spatter all over us and we'd come out of them smelling like fried bacon.
Yikes. Tough day to be halal. Any Muslims on the crew that day?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
PeteM

Artie F. Emm wrote:
PeteM wrote:The stuff would melt and spatter all over us and we'd come out of them smelling like fried bacon.
Yikes. Tough day to be halal. Any Muslims on the crew that day?
Nah. We had one Jewish guy but he wasn't very devout.

That stuff leaking into and blowing up your weld pool overhead would put you in touch with your maker though! :o