Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Domko
    Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:56 am

Hey guys, i have got a bearing stuck in a blind hole in aluminum cylinder head. Can i weld a bolt to the bearing with stick welder and clamp the ground on the head ? Thanks
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there, You don't need to weld. Do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w62c4NQDwP0

Please excuse any swearing in the video, hes very smart but rough around the edges. Watch with the sound down if need be.

Mick
Domko

Yes, i tried this method but there is a small hole( probably for oil) behind the bearing,so i couldnt really get it to work. Would the welding be okay ?
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:Hi there, You don't need to weld. Do this.

Please excuse any swearing in the video, hes very smart but rough around the edges. Watch with the sound down if need be.

Mick
Never seen it done with the addition of paper towels in the hole.
I'll do that next time as with grease alone, it's pretty iffy unless the rod is super tight in the hole and the hammer blows quick.
But then grease still tend to spray out...in my experience anyway.
Seems the grease soaked towels reduced the drama.

For the OP, a slide hammer may work for you and would be my choice if possible - hook the tip and then wedge it there with a wood wedge pounded down next to it.

You may have to make the tip end if the standard one doesn't fit.

If I were welding a bolt to it, I'd clamp my ground on the bolt.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Domko

dumb me, didnt think of clamping it to the bolt :D Or i might end up welding a nut on the bearing and using a slide hammer
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

My dad has done it with wet paper towel. just keep smashing more in until the bearing pops. The little hole at the back shouldn't let any paper towel out.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

I watched a video where a guy did it with a slice of fresh bread packed in piece by piece. My neighbour has seen it done with peanut butter on a clutch throwout bearing. Bread would be less messy to clean up I suppose. :)
olek
    Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:07 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:Hi there, You don't need to weld. Do this.

Mick
The same , but without the grease part, using just the central part of the extractor , plus leverage as done in the video but against the bolt on the threaded part (one or 2 wedges tapped under the bolt , or a lever if it is enough)
Al long as the force is applied to the center of the bearing it should go out straight.

The grease trick is very astute
Pianos , restorer and tuner
Dedicated to learn welding since april
slowly learning ;) not complaining of doing beads and beads
pro inverter PROGYS 200 FV PFC CEL+tig lift
OA Oxyflam 1000 cutting and welding gas torch