It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:43 pm Advanced search

Lincoln Locker - Advice

Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects

Lincoln Locker - Advice

Postby entity-unknown » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:51 pm

Yes I did search! Normally this concept is simple because you weld it in place. In my case I have to remove the front differential because it's a Dana 44 IFS (TTB) on an 87 Bronco.

I know how to use it once the job is done; one wheel locked WHEN you want 4x4, and both wheels locked while sucking it up like an old schooler and stepping out to lock in the other wheel ONLY to get you out. Now we're passed that ;)

My current thoughts are I'll need TIG tack welds to start and I'd probably be best finishing with Stick hence why I started in this section. Also thinkin some crappy 6013 1/16 I have layin around might do well for tacks too. I'm guessing 6011 but still the setup is going to be more important than the rod/welder skill in this case.

Any advice will be helpful but mostly those that have done this specific job.
Thank you as always :)
Lincoln Electric AC225
Everlast PowerPro Multi-Process TIG/Stick/Plasma 256Si
Everlast W300 WaterCooler
Optrel e684x1
16+ Year Security Engineer developing cool shit and stoppin hackers :)
entity-unknown
Ace

Re: Lincoln Locker - Advice

Postby MinnesotaDave » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:32 pm

Just out of curiosity, and apologies because I know you didn't ask - but why not install a mini-spool instead?

About $100 to $120.

I spooled the front and rear of a suzuki samuri for a relative - it was crazy good in the mud :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger

Postby entity-unknown » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:53 pm

I'd have to purchase a mini spool, and then I'd have to remove the ring gear to keep my ratio. If I just weld what's there then I purchase nothing and I retain everything :) Oh yeah, I also haven't welded anything in a bit and never welded anything functional with Stick really and this can't hurt me (much) so just seemed like a good way to go.
Lincoln Electric AC225
Optrel e684x1
entity-unknown
Ace

Postby 5th Street Fab » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:40 pm

I love Lincoln lockers. I've made a bunch. On cars that definitely weren't daily drivers. Anyways just drain the fluid clean and spray carb cleaner til it's clean. Turn your welder up and fill it up with weld. Spin it so you can get the other side and fill that up too.

I once did it front and rear in a Cherokee we bought for 50 bucks! Even reused the old fluid haha fun stuff

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
5th Street Fab
Guide

Postby entity-unknown » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:45 pm

YES!!!! I mean, you can't go wrong if you have full manual control right????
But still the crux is I have to drop the pumpkin, pull the diff, and bench weld it. I guess what I can gather out of all this is I just get to set it up on the bench, slide in the axles to ensure maximum possible alignment, and then I guess just Stick it.

So yeah, that's my only option on this one right?
Lincoln Electric AC225
Optrel e684x1
entity-unknown
Ace

Postby MinnesotaDave » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:26 pm

entity-unknown wrote:YES!!!! I mean, you can't go wrong if you have full manual control right????
But still the crux is I have to drop the pumpkin, pull the diff, and bench weld it. I guess what I can gather out of all this is I just get to set it up on the bench, slide in the axles to ensure maximum possible alignment, and then I guess just Stick it.

Your other option is to leave it alone - I heard some people do that - :lol:

Have fun though - make sure you practice ahead of time - stick can be difficult. :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger

Postby Bill Beauregard » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:01 pm

Yes, you can weld the spiders. I'd get a welder to do it with brass, (braze). You will hate the way it behaves unless you are ONLY climbing rocks, or deep in mud. In mud it might not matter. Everywhere else it makes it go straight when you want to turn, and turn when you want to go straight.

Welded differentials ALWAYS go to a tree. On no occasion has a welded differential missed a tree, unless there is a cliff handy.

Consider what Ford used to do. They put clutch washers on the spiders, offering resistance to the out in space wheel getting all the torque.
Bill Beauregard
Weldmonger

Postby MinnesotaDave » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:01 pm

Bill Beauregard wrote:Yes, you can weld the spiders. I'd get a welder to do it with brass, (braze). You will hate the way it behaves unless you are ONLY climbing rocks, or deep in mud. In mud it might not matter. Everywhere else it makes it go straight when you want to turn, and turn when you want to go straight.

Welded differentials ALWAYS go to a tree. On no occasion has a welded differential missed a tree, unless there is a cliff handy.

Consider what Ford used to do. They put clutch washers on the spiders, offering resistance to the out in space wheel getting all the torque.

Lol :D
Dave J.

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger

Postby 5th Street Fab » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:23 pm

entity-unknown wrote:YES!!!! I mean, you can't go wrong if you have full manual control right????

There's no cover to just pull off and weld it in the housing?

5th Street Fab
Guide

Postby MinnesotaDave » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:41 pm

5th Street Fab wrote:

There's no cover to just pull off and weld it in the housing?

If I remember correctly, for the front axle, ford made the "C" formed axle housing into the "cover."

To remove the center diff, pull the bolts and pull the drivers side axle.
Then the stub shaft that comes out the passenger side has a boot covering a splined sleeve.
Can't remover if the whole axle has to come out or if the center section has enough sideways movement to pull out to the sleeve.
Dave J.

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger

Next

Return to Stick Welding/Arc Welding - Shielded Metal Arc Welding