Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:07 pm

Hi Everyone,

I finally installed a new 50 amp circuit into my shop specifically for my 1940's era Mid-States Deluxe 200 AC Arc Welder. This thing is a beast. It's one of those old units where you plug the cable into the corresponding receptacle for the Amps that you want. The plugs are set up to look like an "M" on the front panel.

My question is this: Is there a good chart or reference as to what amp settings are best for specific sticks? For example, today I was practicing with some 3/32" 7018 and had the holder plugged into the 100 amp receptacle. It took me a moment to realize that I need to lightly brush it against the metal to get it to start. If I strike it too hard, it tends to either stick or just glance across the surface leaving small globs.

I'm trying to figure out what amperage would be best for this size stick as well as what thickness of metals being welded together.

Thanks in advance,
Terry

There's only one way to find out. Might as well get started now...
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Here is a good basic guide. I find staying in the middle to upper part of the range is where I get best arc characteristics.

7018 is generally a DC rod, unless you buy 7018AC rods.
The regular 7018 won't run well on most AC machines, old ones like yours are sometimes the exception.
For most rods, if someone uses them on DC, add a little amperage to what they are running for your AC setting.
image.gif
image.gif (25.62 KiB) Viewed 748 times
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:07 pm

Dave,

This is exactly what I'm looking for. The tip on the 7018 being a DC stick is very welcome as well. When I purchased the welder in June, it came with a ton of sticks. There are many 7014, 7018, 6010, 6011, and 6013 in tubes within a large box. Plus they're in various diameters. So I have a lot of stuff to play with and learn from.

Thanks again,
Terry

There's only one way to find out. Might as well get started now...
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

TDubs wrote:Dave,

This is exactly what I'm looking for. The tip on the 7018 being a DC stick is very welcome as well. When I purchased the welder in June, it came with a ton of sticks. There are many 7014, 7018, 6010, 6011, and 6013 in tubes within a large box. Plus they're in various diameters. So I have a lot of stuff to play with and learn from.

Thanks again,
6010? Must be like my school. Have like 50 lbs of 6010 and only AC buzz boxes.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick