Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
JBeasty
    Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:18 am

Yeah, after thinking about it, the fan idea makes the most sense for me. Cheap, easy and relatively quiet. My shop-vac is so loud I wear ear plugs when I run it.
olek
    Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:07 pm

JBeasty wrote:Yeah, after thinking about it, the fan idea makes the most sense for me. Cheap, easy and relatively quiet. My shop-vac is so loud I wear ear plugs when I run it.
Ideally, a turbine is outside.

As those are providing some aspiration à few meters of tubing can be envisaged without too much losses

It is not easy for me due to the walls, so my solution is to create a heavy box with isolation so the noise lower.
The silencer is also effective.

To help à fan, make it more efficient, some length of tubing front and back will help a lot, there are much turbulences around fans the aspiration zone and level is quite small in the end.

I use an "industrial" type in a door I added to the entry door, I could see how different the result is with the tubing (thin aluminium foil) front and back.

Suddenly my cell phone atmospheric pressure detector did notice something (I don't remind, 1-2bar I think), and the whole piece is not hermetic at all.

A few computation volume vs flow, may be useful.

If not too noisy those small units that are intended to be plug on a supple tubing, may do the job too (they are designed to create a good aspiration level unlike fans )

The formulas are easy to find, some on the turbine and fan makers, to choose a model depending of the use.

For a paint booth you look for 0.5m/sec air displacement.
Fumes rise so it may be different, I have a vertical flow (not very strong) and aspiration at floor level.
Pianos , restorer and tuner
Dedicated to learn welding since april
slowly learning ;) not complaining of doing beads and beads
pro inverter PROGYS 200 FV PFC CEL+tig lift
OA Oxyflam 1000 cutting and welding gas torch
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Put the fan behind you, it will be much more effective. Also, if you line it up right, it will keep the fogging in your welding helmet to a minimum. stick welding is pretty immune to wind and drafts, so let it rip.
Multimatic 255