Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
trevrep01
    Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi Guys,
Is anyone familiar with the HF 80amp inverter? I am new to welding and only have one class (smaw) under my belt. I don't have 220 available so I picked this box up to practice. I purchased two rods, 1/16" - 6013 and 3/32" - 6011. The 6011 is supposed to be DC-. Can I switch the polarity on this buzz box without blowing it up? The user guide is totally worthless. Thanks....Mike
rickbreeezy
    Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:33 pm

you should be fine, even if it doesnt work, it definatley will not, under any circumstances, blow up ;) . Dont worry I remember being super catious about my first machine too. :D
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

6013 and 6011 are both AC rods. (Both will run OK on a DC machine, electrode positive.) 6010 is a DC rod.

I'm not a fan of harbor freight products if you rely on your tools for your income. However, I have nothing against buying from them for hobby or practice needs.

Steve
genesis
    Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:19 pm

I have never purchased anything from Harbor Freight, but I am considering this very same welder (just to play with, and with no particular purpose in mind). I don't know a thing about welding, other than what I've picked up on the internet over the past year. Below are some links to videos on the HF 80 amp stick welder. Hope this helps.

Don <><

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bujvEHMcnEE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyuaisi2vvI
trevrep01
    Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:10 pm

Thanks for the quick responses. To answer some of your notes: This is only for hobby. The 1/16" rods strike well but don't give you a whole lot of weld. The 3/32" rod takes a little more finesse to get the arc going. That is why I questioned my polarity. I will switch to DC- and see if it's any better. I did try a 3/32" 7018 at max current and it was a bear to strike. To 'genesis', I would recommend this welder for hobby and fun if nothing else is available. Keep your frustration level in check and you should have some fun. Thanks all...Mike
ps I will post back after switching polarity and its effect.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Go DC+.

The only stick rod the hobbyist may encounter that likes DCEN is 7024, a flat-position only rod, and your machine doesn't have enough power to run it in any useful size.

6013=AC
6011=AC

6010=DCEP (Electrode positive)
7018=DCEP

If you must run 6011 or 6013 on DC, do it electrode positive, or you will have crappy welds with very little penetration.

Steve