Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
burnttoast
    Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:28 am

Hello all, still a newbie at welding. today was welding a piece of 3/4 inch black pipe to one end of a railroad track that is my make shift anvil. I was able to finally do it. but it was a pain to try and get the electrode into the crevice where the two pieces met. It would either stick to one side or the other. any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm only a hobbyist, not a pro.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Size of your welding rod? At most, I’d use 3/32”, and strike the rod on the flat, moving quickly to the joint. 3/4” pipe is pretty small diameter so welding around it is quite tricky even for the pros. Just burn the rod in the joint with a nice tight arc and the rod will fill it in the rest of the way.
burnttoast

Thanks, will try it next time.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Maybe try cue sticking the electrode. Grab it a couple inches away from the end of the electrode to steady it. That has haloed me some with that type of work. Just be sure to take your hand off because they get hot quick.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
burnttoast

Farmwelding wrote:Maybe try cue sticking the electrode. Grab it a couple inches away from the end of the electrode to steady it. That has haloed me some with that type of work. Just be sure to take your hand off because they get hot quick.
Thanks, will try it next time.