It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:51 am Advanced search

7018 with the least porosity

Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects

7018 with the least porosity

Postby Danylo66 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:24 am

Havent posted for a while. I`m using Lincoln 7018 welding rod and it is good, but i find , like others, that i`m always having to dry the rods first. Even if I keep them in the sealed container.
I have heard of other brands that are not so seseptible to moisture. (Note I`m not looking to bash Lincoln welding rods)
I`m just a hobbie welder and I`m not doing any structural work involving safety.
Danylo66
Workhorse

Re: 7018 with the least porosity

Postby Poland308 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:39 am

If it’s labeled 7018 then there won’t be much difference between brands. They will still weld, and be composed of the same materials and have the same vulnerabilities. This has to do to the ranges and engineering standards inforced to be able to call it a 7018. Perhaps you could expand on what you want to weld on. There are many different types of rods each having different features and purposes. No one size fits all. It’s just a mater of finding the right one for your project
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby Danylo66 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:19 am

What I have welded in the past are things like a boat trailer, table legs, porch railings. I have an inverter welder.
Many years ago I built a boat trailer using an arc welder, but cant remember the make or the rod I used. 6010 and 11 don`t work well with my machine. 6013 is a little messy. 7014 isint to bad. But I rely like the smoothness of the 7018. I guess Ill just have to dry the rods more often. I keep them in a sealed container, but it seems that after several months they still need drying.
Danylo66
Workhorse

Postby noddybrian » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:33 am

I know exactly what you mean - 7018 rods are not all made the same & vary significantly in use & storage - being in the UK we don't have the same choices as across the pond - I once had some Lincoln 7018-1 no other name on them - Excaliber is not sold here so never had the chance to try what I have heard is about the best - those were alright if they had been stored correctly by the supplier but mostly they just sit around in any warehouse they have often exposed to the elements - if put in a rod oven & used soon after they weld fine but after less than a day become unusable - not just for code work - I mean they just suck water out of the air & go rusty - our normal choice is Esab 48.00 unitrode & that keeps well for years even if no longer suitable for code work - downside is rather thick flux - makes passing an overhead test piece harder - rod of choice is Filarc due to the thinner flux - that also keeps but is too expensive unless doing a test or critical part - I've welded with a lot of others - some better than others but they come & go as suppliers cut deals & try to screw a bit more profit - mostly don't have much choice unless paying a royal ransom for rods - most companies stay with Esab as it's consistent & reliable even if not the best - some will shop around for the cheapest they can get !
noddybrian
Weldmonger

Postby cj737 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:45 am

I've been very impressed with nWeld brand 7018 for intermittent usage. They seem to be very stable to moisture exposure and have, for me, produced the best welds on my inverter-based machine.
cj737
Weldmonger

Postby Louie1961 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:47 am

If you are getting porosity from 7018 rods fresh out of a hermetically sealed can, then you are running them incorrectly. They can't get any dryer than fresh out of a hermetically sealed can. You may be long arcing or other issues. Once you open the container then yes, it is a requirement to store them in a rod oven for code work. However, I have some old excalibur rods that have been out of the can for ages, as well as some tractor supply rods that came in a cardboard box. Neither have ever been in an oven and I can run both without any signs of porosity. So it makes me wonder if there is something wrong in your technique. No offense intended, but I don't think the rod oven makes them run that much better.
Hobart Handler 190
Syncrowave 250
Purox Metalmaster
Louie1961
Ace

Postby Lightning » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:28 pm

I'm with Louie on this. None of my 7018 has ever seen an oven, and it's all been unsealed for years, and runs fine and without porosity.

You ask which brand has the "least" porosity, but ALL of it should have NO porosity.

If you're getting porosity, something isn't right either with your welder or with your welding.
Lightning

Postby Danylo66 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:34 pm

Thanks for the input guys. Its on and off with the welds. I`ve tried 7014 and its smooth. with 7018 I`ve tried a close tight arc with the stick dragging. One rod will give a good weld and then the next rod welds with pors. (think thats the spelling)I `m starting to think the machine is not consistent.
I have the pocket welder app and Lincoln app. followed both and the recomendation on the rod boxes. But again the 7014 welds fine. I`m in Ontario Canada our weather fluctuates between dry and wet all the time.
I`m going to try drying the rods one more time to see if that helps.
As for taking offence to the comments, No I view all as possitive input. I`m not a pro. and apreciate the help.
Danylo66
Workhorse

Postby olek » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:18 am

Louie1961 wrote:If you are getting porosity from 7018 rods fresh out of a hermetically sealed can, then you are running them incorrectly. They can't get any dryer than fresh out of a hermetically sealed can. You may be long arcing or other issues. Once you open the container then yes, it is a requirement to store them in a rod oven for code work. However, I have some old excalibur rods that have been out of the can for ages, as well as some tractor supply rods that came in a cardboard box. Neither have ever been in an oven and I can run both without any signs of porosity. So it makes me wonder if there is something wrong in your technique. No offense intended, but I don't think the rod oven makes them run that much better.

We get 7018-1 lincoln label H4R so they are not as sensitive to humidity, but the boxes are cardboard sealed in a plastic film. It is not an ideal container as you have in USA. (the rods do not appear differently on catalogs, maybe the excalibur is just a name they get in USA (BTW we also see Lincoln 7018, cheaper than7018-1, only rare dealers propose them)

I have been said I can dry them more than 10 times (300 hours max) but usually 30 min to one hour in a kitchen oven at 240celsius and they run nicely (if I feel them not as dry as I wish, but direct from a new box they are good)
Stored in sealed container then

I agree that porosity is due to bad manipulation probably. I had on the start before learning to start correctly
Pianos , restorer and tuner
Dedicated to learn welding since april
slowly learning ;) not complaining of doing beads and beads
pro inverter PROGYS 200 FV PFC CEL+tig lift
OA Oxyflam 1000 cutting and welding gas torch
olek
Ace

Postby olek » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:34 am

noddybrian wrote:I know exactly what you mean - 7018 rods are not all made the same & vary significantly in use & storage - being in the UK we don't have the same choices as across the pond - I once had some Lincoln 7018-1 no other name on them - Excaliber is not sold here so never had the chance to try what I have heard is about the best - those were alright if they had been stored correctly by the supplier but mostly they just sit around in any warehouse they have often exposed to the elements - if put in a rod oven & used soon after they weld fine but after less than a day become unusable - not just for code work - I mean they just suck water out of the air & go rusty - our normal choice is Esab 48.00 unitrode & that keeps well for years even if no longer suitable for code work - downside is rather thick flux - makes passing an overhead test piece harder - rod of choice is Filarc due to the thinner flux - that also keeps but is too expensive unless doing a test or critical part - I've welded with a lot of others - some better than others but they come & go as suppliers cut deals & try to screw a bit more profit - mostly don't have much choice unless paying a royal ransom for rods - most companies stay with Esab as it's consistent & reliable even if not the best - some will shop around for the cheapest they can get !

I don't understand : Lincoln 7018-1 are normal reliable rods and esab 48.00 may be a little better (and way more expensive).

If you keep those rods in oven for storage and portable oven on site there should be no problem at all.

48.00 now sold in sealed container, good for code 9 hours in 75% humidity (you may be experiencing more?)
BTW H4—R standard is that, good for 9 hours at 4mg hydrogen under 75%(may be 70%) HR.

BTW I have a drying table (temp and time) that shows that depending of the metal to be welded quality the cooking/drying time can differ.
Probably just showing that the less hydrogen we want the longer the drying time is ; (H8 2:00 at 300-350° ; H4 2h a -340-360°;

7016 are only one hour at 100-110°as rutile and rutilo cellulosic ( as soon there is cellulose the cooking temperature is under 120° to avoid degradation of the cellulose)
Pianos , restorer and tuner
Dedicated to learn welding since april
slowly learning ;) not complaining of doing beads and beads
pro inverter PROGYS 200 FV PFC CEL+tig lift
OA Oxyflam 1000 cutting and welding gas torch
olek
Ace

Next

Return to Stick Welding/Arc Welding - Shielded Metal Arc Welding