Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:29 am

Hello all

I am on vacation in Florida, I could not resist the opportunity and bought used Miller 280 CTS of ebay, as I live in Iceland and the electricity there is 230v 1.phase and 400v 3.phase.

The machine i bought is for US marked multi volt 220/230v - 460/575

(The European version of the same is 208/230 and 400/460)

I see the big capacitor inside the machine is 400-500V.

My question is can I use this US machine on 400v 3.phace? If not what do I have to change? if any electrician on the forum can answer I highly appreciate.
Hjortur
What never happened before can always happen again....
mechanic416
    Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:16 pm

Call Miller 1-920-734-9821 and ask them
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I have one on my truck that I’ve used on 203 up to about 495. Measured voltage. I’ve never had any issues or even ever tripped out the machine. Disclaimer ( I’ve never needed to run it above 180a for what I needed).
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Thanks for replaying all, and Josh you convinced me that there is no problem to run into, I was confused because there is no Nautlal or N from the mashine, only 3 phases and ground, it is then straightforward just connect L1 L2 L3 and the ground leave N mty and plug in :0)
Hjortur
Poland308

There is a clause in the manual that I think specifically says if your running it on single phase you need to have the red wire as one of the legs. After that you just don’t use one of the others. Mine also has a manual switch for going from 208/230 -480v after that it doesn’t care if it’s single or 3phase. If you hook it up wrong I’m pretty sure the led will flash a code at you without damaging the welder.

Josh

This I bought was old school machine, it has been running on 1 phase only and the red been cut off the plug side. in Icelandic 1 phase plug there is one Life one Neutral and ground. Then according to manual I probably have to use red for life and then one of others for N. Miller have weary good website with all the manuals thumps up to them.

I will have to try to contact electrician to be sure, the problem is in my country they are extremely busy and difficult to get them to do some small job I tried few times ending up doing it myself :0/

BTW how is the experience with those machines?

Hjortur
Poland308

My experience with the 280 has been super solid. I’ve even run it off a 6kw gas generator no problem. Good arc starts and very consistent no mater what kind of power I’m running it on. I tig with it too.

Josh

Just connected to 400V 3phase left the N mty, welding the 6010 like a champ, really smooth machine.
Poland308

I’ve run mine off of a 5500 watt gas generator.

Josh