Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Skiddz
    Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:18 am

Lightning wrote:
Skiddz wrote: Why fixed shade?
The better you can see the puddle, the better you can weld.
Got my auto-darkening dialed down to about 8.75. I can go lower, but then it starts getting a little too bright..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
TheWeldingConnector
    Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:13 pm

Skiddz wrote:
Lightning wrote:
The better you can see the puddle, the better you can weld.
Got my auto-darkening dialed down to about 8.75. I can go lower, but then it starts getting a little too bright..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
That seems a bit low to me but everyone has a different light tolerance. I normally use a shade 11 or a shade 10 with dark safety glasses for anything under 150 amps and a 12 for anything over but for most people that is too dark. I find I have a harder time seeing the puddle if I do not have a dark enough shade.
Skiddz

The better you can see the puddle, the better you can weld.[/quote]Got my auto-darkening dialed down to about 8.75. I can go lower, but then it starts getting a little too bright..

That seems a bit low to me but everyone has a different light tolerance. I normally use a shade 11 or a shade 10 with dark safety glasses for anything under 150 amps and a 12 for anything over but for most people that is too dark. I find I have a harder time seeing the puddle if I do not have a dark enough shade.
Never really thought about going darker. Couldn't hurt to try, right?
Skiddz

Quick follow up. Finished my FCAW 3G cert test last week so have been messing around over the last few classes. Tried some 6010 again last night. Still got the flat and horizontal stuff down (Some of my beads were actually pretty nice!) and then tried vertical uphill (3F) again. Sort of still have it, but it got ugly towards the top. I was hoping to get my 3G SMAW test done but tonight is the last class so that's doubtful...
WeldingJunkie
    Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:43 pm

Tweake you are right. Hes trying to run uphill is straight DCEN, that's def his issue.