Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

cj737 wrote:I'll just say this: welding 6010 is not something you can "learn" by watching. It is a very tricky rod to learn, uphill even harder, so don't become frustrated too early. Until you have burned about 50# of it in every direction, consider yourself a COMPLETE novice. Then, you begin again with your non-dominant hand ;) I can weld most everything else well enough, but 6010 STILL kicks my arse all around the block. I basically suck at it, truth be told. But I can run 7018 with a mirror off hand. Go figure...
Same here. You get out of posistion hand me a 7018. I find it easier to keep steady and constant than constantly whipping around.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Skiddz
    Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:18 am

MinnesotaDave wrote: Just remember it's not really all about timing, the movements are also based on what you see the puddle doing.
That split second when the puddle fills out to the same size as the one below it is when you whip up.
When everything is going well, it ends up looking like a timed movement.
After I do demonstrations I rotate through the booths and weld with each student at least once per class.
Yeah, got that figured out fairly well doing flat work, just all falls apart going uphill. Having some issues seeing the puddle in that position, but I'm North of 50 so Ill be picking up some "cheaters" in the morning to see if that helps me to see better with tonight's class.
cj737 wrote:I'll just say this: welding 6010 is not something you can "learn" by watching. It is a very tricky rod to learn, uphill even harder, so don't become frustrated too early. Until you have burned about 50# of it in every direction, consider yourself a COMPLETE novice. Then, you begin again with your non-dominant hand ;) I can weld most everything else well enough, but 6010 STILL kicks my arse all around the block. I basically suck at it, truth be told. But I can run 7018 with a mirror off hand. Go figure...
I think the "frustration" comes from not knowing what exactly to look for, what I'm doing right/wrong. I'm sure it just comes down to lack of experience/practice. I'm seriously considering buying a machine (Thunderbolt 210) to practice with and to have on hand for a couple things I want to build around the house. (That's what I'm telling my wife anyways.. :))

We did 7018 tonight and wow, what a difference. 2F position with 1/4" plate. Took a few passes to figure out my travel speed, but once I got that figured out, I was able to put down some decent passes. The whole class picked it up fairly quickly. I did 6, 3-pass fillets and 2, 6-pass fillets. 4 of the 6 3-pass runs were decent and both of the 6-pass runs came out pretty decent as well. A couple small sections of undercut and some "loss of rhythm" but compared to the 6010 passes, a huge improvement.
tweake wrote: is that a typo or is the problem your running DCEN instead of DCEP ?
Nope, you're right. DCEP. (Had to look at the machine, hehehe)

BTW: Is there a Multi-Quote button here? Copying/pasting multiple quotes is a bit of a PITA.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Skiddz wrote:
Yeah, got that figured out fairly well doing flat work, just all falls apart going uphill. Having some issues seeing the puddle in that position, but I'm North of 50 so Ill be picking up some "cheaters" in the morning to see if that helps me to see better with tonight's class.
I'm 48 and have cheaters in my welding helmet.

Sometimes with tig I also put a pair on my face too.

Focal length is the key, if I need to be closer, I need more magnification.

Or, if it's a really tiny weld, I need more magnification and then my head ends up closer again anyway.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

MinnesotaDave wrote:
Skiddz wrote:
I'm 48 and have cheaters in my welding helmet.

Or, if it's a really tiny weld, I need more magnification and then my head ends up closer again anyway.

Don't forget, a lot of light too!
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

tungstendipper wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote: I'm 48 and have cheaters in my welding helmet.

Don't forget, a lot of light too!
Man you're not kidding. :?

I have 14 200watt bulbs in my 26x32 shop and I still need a trouble light while working on cars....and sometimes even when working at the table...
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Skiddz wrote: I think the "frustration" comes from not knowing what exactly to look for, what I'm doing right/wrong. I'm sure it just comes down to lack of experience/practice. I'm seriously considering buying a machine (Thunderbolt 210) to practice with and to have on hand for a couple things I want to build around the house. (That's what I'm telling my wife anyways.. :))
An instructor once told me that with 6010 "What you see is what you get", meaning that the flux doesn't emerge from the pool like it does with other rods and processes (7018,fcaw-g).

Rod angle is super important too, especially with up hill. Tilting the rod will give too much tip and create a really hot pool that falls out and makes a mess as a lot of people tend to drop their wrist and start reaching with the electrode as they progress through the weld.
Skiddz

I can still read ok if it's bright enough, but low light makes it tough. I think if I had better lighting in the booth it would help to see both puddle and weld direction better, but the cheaters were only a few bucks so we'll see how that goes tonight.

Question on electrode angle going uphill: I've seen vids that show both 90 degrees from the workpiece and a +/- 10 "push" angle.. I tried both but both results sucked (lol).. Which would make more sense to stick with for a beginner?
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

I prefer less, like a couple deg. off of 90, but that becomes pretty subjective as people find their own preferences.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

The direction the rod is pointed is where the metal is going to deposit. Use this to favor the weld depending on joint configuration or position.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Lightning
    Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm

I would try to keep it close to 90° until you start to "get it" with 601X. The whip and pause technique may help you...

Beware of arc blow at the top of your piece...if you have trouble with the arc pulling the puddle downward toward the end of your weld, ask your instructor if he thinks it's arc blow. There are ways to deal with it, including moving your work clamp, and welding a piece of steel beyond the end of your weld, so that the magnetic flux doesn't get all jammed up at the top of your run. Lincoln has a good article on arc blow, Google and you'll find it if interested.

Don't worry, once you get it, 6010 will be easy. I consider it a lot easier than 7018, I guess because it's the first rod I learned on, and the one I use the most.
Skiddz

Lightning wrote:I would try to keep it close to 90° until you start to "get it" with 601X. The whip and pause technique may help you...
Yep, doing the whip and pause on flat is working ok. Uphill is still the issue. Inverted "T"s seems to be the best thus far, just need to work on travel speed and timing of the "T".
Beware of arc blow at the top of your piece...if you have trouble with the arc pulling the puddle downward toward the end of your weld, ask your instructor if he thinks it's arc blow. There are ways to deal with it, including moving your work clamp, and welding a piece of steel beyond the end of your weld, so that the magnetic flux doesn't get all jammed up at the top of your run. Lincoln has a good article on arc blow, Google and you'll find it if interested.
I've been "pushing" uphill and about an inch before the end of the run, I start to transition to a slight "pull" and get the last 1/2" or so at that angle. Saw several vids of that technique. Still getting a little cratering at the end, but it's getting better.

I actually had an arc blow on 7018 last night. It made a mess of what was looking to be a nice run...
Don't worry, once you get it, 6010 will be easy. I consider it a lot easier than 7018, I guess because it's the first rod I learned on, and the one I use the most.
We started on 6010 and did that for 6 classes. Just started on 7018 this week and I (and the rest of the class) find it a lot easier to run than 6010. Next week is 6010 root passes with two 7018 cover passes. I'm going to run out Saturday and maybe pick up a Thunderbolt 210 and a box of 6010 and practice all day. :)
Skiddz

Quick update. Went backwards a bit and stopped vertical practice and worked on stacking beads in fillet welds. 6010 root and 7018 fill, but last night, I was determined to figure out 6010 fillet welds with 6010 cover passes using 3/8" material. Other than some undercut on the root pass, I was actually getting decent results on all but the last "top" pass. Still getting undercut - I can't seem to find the right angle/technique with 6010. After 10 passes on each side of my "T", I went back to 7018 cover passes.

Still can't quite make a nice straight line (Having a hard time seeing where I need to go, even with my helmet turned down to about9.25 (Any lower and it's too bright) but getting better. Frustrating because I literally soloed a helicopter in less time than it's taken to get to this point under the hood. I *am* able to work the puddle and "fix" issues with previous passes so there's progress. Just very slow progress.

Next class it's back to vertical uphill... yay.
Poland308

Do you have the ability to adjust arc force?

Josh
Lightning

Stick with it, you'll get it. Really hone in on that puddle. Change hoods if need be (I find a fixed shade gives me a MUCH better view of the puddle) so that you can really see what's going on with the puddle, and maybe get a demo from a few different (competent) welders while watching how they handle their puddles, then spend the time. Don't worry, you'll get it...
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I was working on a 5/16" thick underground gas tank last year. The tank was heavily corroded, the rectangular frame I was surrounding it with was also heavily corroded. I needed to run 48' of vertical weld to join tank to frame. The metal was NASTY rusted, and i reached a point where grinding had gone 1/16" deep into all surfaces, and deep pits still remained.

Minnesota Dave coached me some, and CEP over at Welding web suggested turning up the heat, and running a U shaped bead to blow out old, corrupt metal, replacing it with new. That strategy worked for me. Clean metal makes all the difference, but if you have clean, why not use 7018?
Skiddz

Poland308 wrote:Do you have the ability to adjust arc force?
There is an Arc/Dig setting on the machine, but I haven't played with it. I downloaded the manual for the machine (Miller XMT 304) and will do some reading tonight when I'm done with the "Honey-Do" list for today.
Lightning wrote:Stick with it, you'll get it. Really hone in on that puddle. Change hoods if need be (I find a fixed shade gives me a MUCH better view of the puddle) so that you can really see what's going on with the puddle, and maybe get a demo from a few different (competent) welders while watching how they handle their puddles, then spend the time. Don't worry, you'll get it...
I've played with the shading on my hood. Found that just shy of 9.5 seems to offer me the best view. Anything lower and it's leaving purple spots in my vision when I'm done. I did get some one-on-one with the instructor and that did help with 6010 cover passes. There is a lot to look at while you're running beads. Puddle, arc length, where you're going, any occlusions that need a little extra time etc. I'm sure I'll get it, just need more time under the hood and some direction on what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong.
Bill Beauregard wrote:I was working on a 5/16" thick underground gas tank last year. The tank was heavily corroded, the rectangular frame I was surrounding it with was also heavily corroded. I needed to run 48' of vertical weld to join tank to frame. The metal was NASTY rusted, and i reached a point where grinding had gone 1/16" deep into all surfaces, and deep pits still remained.

Minnesota Dave coached me some, and CEP over at Welding web suggested turning up the heat, and running a U shaped bead to blow out old, corrupt metal, replacing it with new. That strategy worked for me. Clean metal makes all the difference, but if you have clean, why not use 7018?
This is all in a class and you have to learn to walk before you can run so we started with 6010. Our cert test will be vertical uphill, open root 6010 with 2 7018 cover passes. If I can get the 6010 down, the cover passes will be cake.

Completely unrelated (Well, sort of) question since you all have way more experience than I... If I had a budget of $1000-$1200, what would be a decent multi-process machine to pick up? Input power is not an issue as I can install a 220V circuit in the garage in a couple hours. I don't need a Mig/wire feed gun at this point, but it would be nice... Don't really care about the brand as long as parts support is good and it's got a reasonable duty cycle for home/hobby use.
Poland308

Set the arc force for about 5. It will give you some dig but soften things up a bit. Maybe enough to get rid of your undercut at the edge. Granted you could even go down to 2 or 3 but it’s not a magic wand. It will often help if the undercut is very small. Especially if you run fine with similar settings in the horizontal.

Josh
Skiddz

Poland308 wrote:Set the arc force for about 5. It will give you some dig but soften things up a bit. Maybe enough to get rid of your undercut at the edge. Granted you could even go down to 2 or 3 but it’s not a magic wand. It will often help if the undercut is very small. Especially if you run fine with similar settings in the horizontal.
Reading the docs for this XMT machine, it doesn't explain very well what the Inductance/Dig control does - at least not in a way that makes sense to a rookie like me. I did, however, find a thread on the Miller forums that explained it a little better, and, had a suggestion to run 6010 at 60% and 7018 at 20-30%. I'll have to play with it a bit on Tuesday night.
aland
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

Skiddz wrote:
Poland308 wrote:Reading the docs for this XMT machine, it doesn't explain very well what the Inductance/Dig control does - at least not in a way that makes sense to a rookie like me. I did, however, find a thread on the Miller forums that explained it a little better, and, had a suggestion to run 6010 at 60% and 7018 at 20-30%. I'll have to play with it a bit on Tuesday night.
Skiddz,

I was having an issue on my machine, and hadn't paid much attention to it. I realized the next day after thinking things through, and was looking in the manual. I saw the ARC Force and checked the setting, which was down around 5%. I was having problems with both 6011 and 7018...

Jody has an XLNT video you should watch where he talks about it. His numbers are almost exactly the same as what you got on the Miller forum.

(this is from a slide in the video)

"“ARC force” aka “DIG” increases the amperage when your arc shortens to help prevent Sticking. Higher settings like around 65% are recommended for 6010 and lower setting of around 30% for 7018”

Here's the video:

With that said, in other videos Jody shows running 7018 at a much higher ARC force, up around 70% and it it still welds fine for him...and he describes 7018 as being "buttery" at around 30%. HIs point was that sometimes you need a little extra bite and turning up the ARC force (DIG) can help...in that case you need to adjust your arc length to keep the stick burning nicely. For me it was like night and day with 6011 (similar to your 6010), once I turned the ARC force up to about 65%. it just started working, where the 5% made it almost impossible to even keep an ARC.

DISCLAIMER: take what I say with a grain of salt, I ran into a problem with ARC force recently and found Jody's video after searching on the web. it is difficult to find too much info on it. Jody's video above is about the best I've seen online at explaining it.

Alan
Last edited by aland on Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poland308

If you’ve been running consistent beads. Then you will notice arc forces biggest visual que is at the toes of the weld. The edges will flow and wet in different. More arc force will cause them to dig in / less will flow more. I tend to crank up mine if I’m welding on rusty or painted stuff.

Josh
Skiddz

aland wrote: Skiddz,

I was having an issue on my machine, and hadn't paid much attention to it. I realized the next day after thinking things through, and was looking in the manual. I saw the ARC Force and checked the setting, which was down around 5%. I was having problems with both 6011 and 7018...

Jody has an XLNT video you should watch where he talks about it. His numbers are almost exactly the same as what you got on the Miller forum.
Thx for the link to the vid. I took a pic of the machine at the last class so I could get the model off of it and DL the manual. Just for giggles, I took a better look at it to see where the Inductance/Dig knob was set. It's right around 30 so I'm definitely going to dial it up on Tuesday night and see how it goes.
Poland308 wrote:If you’ve been running consistent beads. Then you will notice arc forces biggest visual que is at the toes of the weld. The edges will flow and wet in different. More arc force will cause them to dig in / less will flow more. I tend to crank up mine if I’m welding on rusty or painted stuff.
Yeah, I can run fairly consistent beads flat and horizontal. With 7018 I can get the toes to flow out pretty good if I can get my travel speed "correct". Too slow and it tends to stack up and sometimes "roll over". Too fast and the beads get concave and it gets hard to fix that when doing stacked fillets. Like i said above, I'm definitely going to mess with the Dig setting over the next couple classes and see how it goes.

I've almost talked myself into buying a Millermatic 210 so may be able to get in even more practice at home by this time next week.
Lightning

Skiddz wrote:I've almost talked myself into buying a Millermatic 210 so may be able to get in even more practice at home by this time next week.
Isn't that a mig machine? If you can run 6010 with that, you're a whole lot better than me!
Poland308

That makes sense 30 or 3. Depending on manufacturers. Is about what most guys run with 7018. Try 5-8 on the 6010.

Josh
Skiddz

Lightning wrote:
Isn't that a mig machine? If you can run 6010 with that, you're a whole lot better than me!
Sorry, MULTImatic 215...
Skiddz

Did a little more horizontal tonight. Played with Arc Control when doing 6010 passes. Looks like 67/68 is the "sweet spot" for this particular machine. 7018 seemed to like right at 20. 6010 Root passes actually looked decent and only a couple REALLY small sections of undercut and I'm pretty sure I can eliminate them with a tick more "pause". Ran 10 passes (Stacking fillets) on each side and then cut the work pieces in half to check penetration etc. Had a small pore in an area pass number 3 would have been and I think it might have been where I had a restart. Still can't get them quite right, but definitely getting better.

After cutting, we went back to vertical. Ugh. T joints, 6010 root pass, 7018 cover. Laid down the first 6010 root pass using an inverted T motion. The first two inches were actually pretty nice (see pic) and then it all went to pot. Lost my rhythm and couldn't seem to stay focused on the puddle. Kept sticking rods on arc strike and actually managed to snuff the arc a couple times by going too deep. Not sure if I was tired/frustrated or just having an off night. Everyone in the class is still struggling with this vertical stuff.
6010 root pass, vertical, uphill
6010 root pass, vertical, uphill
20180220_193104.jpg (45.55 KiB) Viewed 3185 times