Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

I have finally read all posts here before asking questions.
About my experience: no one actually showed me how to arc weld (or gas weld either), I bought a used 'Miller Thunderbolt' and a used completetorch setup in 1970 after I got out of the service (USAF). I paid about $300 bucks for everything then. No one ever showed me how to weld either way, through trial and error I got (passably) good to where my welds looked good (most of the time!) and theyve never broken on me.

A few years ago I worked on a railroad job replacing a 100+year old set of RR tracks. I (am) was a (retired) grade-checker doing the dirt work for the new alignment. The companys welding supply vender was 'Air-Gas' and they had a package sale on a Thermal arc 185 welder with EVERYTHING except a bottle of argon. (I got a substantial discount over and above the sale price, through the company)

Anyway, with the Thunderbolt, I have never had trouble striking an arc, but with the 185, I ALWAYS have fits starting arcs - ac, dc+, dc-. Yah yah hot start etc. Ive been back to Airgas several times and the machine is set up right, clean, dry, rod, different rod as reccomended by Airgas guys (they gave me a few sticks of diff size and type of rod to try, but no such luck. Ive tried quite a few weldingtipsandtricks.com suggestions with not much luck.

Help!! Any suggestions appreciated

I havent gas welded mild steel in a few years, that TIG is just too cool! its almost (but not quite) as good as sex. Aluminium and SS not quite as good - strong enough, but not so good looking, practice practice etc. Anyway, any help appreciated, , , , -cornmuse-

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

If you got new rod, real clean metal, and the machine checks out, I'd up the amperage 10 amps or so and see if that helps. If it does, slowly turn it back until you get the puddle your lookin for. Check your ground clamp and stinger too, the connections to em. Make sure the ground is as close as reasonabley possible to the workpiece and connected to good clean metal too. Check your leads for tight connections and no signs of damage or wear.

Hopefully some of that helps brotha.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?