Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
mrel
    Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:51 am

Hello
Stick welding (arc) how do you control heat ?
Mig welding control the heat by lowing the current or voltage.
Which is more easy to use Stick or Mig?
mrel
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Welcome to the forum! Stick is controlled by your amperage adjustment and arc length. With mig, amperage is controlled by your WFS as I've come to know it. The more wire you have coming out, the more heat you need to burn it off. Which is easier you ask? Depends on a lot of variables. Me period ally I like stick for out if posistion stuff just cause I find it easier. Mig is easier to use on fabrication for speed and consistency. If you have setting right and have practiced enough, they will be probably about the same difficulty level.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

mrel wrote:Hello
Stick welding (arc) how do you control heat ?
Mig welding control the heat by lowing the current or voltage.
Which is more easy to use Stick or Mig?
mrel
learn both.
both have their uses.
stick is a little harder to use but easier to see when you stuff it up.
mig is a little easier to use but not easy to see your mistakes.
with mig there is a lot of variables to get right and, as i found out the hard way, its easy to do a bad weld that looks good.
you think you are doing great until you test the weld. in that respect mig is not as easy as it looks.

i would start with stick.
tweak it until it breaks
Farmwelding

If you're going to start with one, choose stick. Gives you a better feel of a puddle with less variables to control. Pick an amperage and burn. It'll help you be able to posistion yourself better as well in my experience.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

Farmwelding wrote:.........It'll help you be able to posistion yourself better as well in my experience.
+1

something which jody talk about in the vids, but i still think is understated by most, is the importance of body position and body movement. they make it look easy in the videos.
really difficult to learn to weld if your body position is not good.
tweak it until it breaks
Farmwelding

tweake wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:.........It'll help you be able to posistion yourself better as well in my experience.
+1

something which jody talk about in the vids, but i still think is understated by most, is the importance of body position and body movement. they make it look easy in the videos.
really difficult to learn to weld if your body position is not good.
And make sure you can see. That's what usually gets me...usually my cover lens is dirty or when I'm doing overhead, my line of sight is off.
Nick
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Lightning
    Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm

Farmwelding wrote:Welcome to the forum! Stick is controlled by your amperage adjustment and arc length.
...and travel speed.