Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Jacksonj44
    Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:54 pm

Hello James here.
I have a question that I hope someone can solve. I am a welder in the Canadian armed forces. There is a standard you must meet in order be a fully trained welder in the eyes of Canadian armed forces. That standard is running open root all position on with 7018. The tests are pretty standard. You are given 3/8 plates with a 45° bevel. You are requried to do a weld on them open root. The gap must be bigger then 3/32 and you must use 7018 rod for the entire weld. The renforcment must not be in excess of 3mm. Plate deflection has to be less then 7°. You have 6 hours to turn in 1 plate. Once you hand it in the cut them into 40mm wide strips and bend them. You must not have an crack of any sort greater then 3mm in any direction. I went to school for welding before I joined and we only ever used a back in plate, so this weld was new to me. This weld is easily the hardest I have ever done. When I started practicing for it I looked online for videos of a simular weld with tips, and couldn't find any running 7018 open root. I have passed the flat and vertical tests, but will have to do the horizontal and over head soon. So my question is, does anyone know of any videos on this type of weld, or could make one on this topic. Feel free to ask any questions I will try to answer best I can. Any tips or pointers would be the best.
Thank you
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Northern Sweden Welding I think posted a video about 7018 open root. He ran dcen for the root instead of dcep like normal.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Jacksonj44
    Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:54 pm

Yeah I have seen that video but he didnt even bend it so I'm not to sure if it is a good process. Plus I forgot to mention that the standard is you can't have more then 1mm of lack of penetration on the root. You also can't have any umder fill on the cap.
Poland308

I’m from the US. so it was a new idea to me. But it sounds like that it almost a standard in Europe.

Josh
Poland308

He’s posted here some I think under the name NSW. You might be able to pm him.

Josh