Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
genesis
    Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:19 pm

Hi Guys:

I'm a wannabe which means I don't own a welder (yet). I stopped at a little welding supply shop to browse. I wanna get a "new" stick welder. The owner of this store was an older fella and seemed very knowledgeable. But he had his prejudices and biasses. He had a few new Miller's on the floor along with just a ton of used welders, of all types, makes, and models, some very big. He also repairs all types of welders. He wasn't to impressed with the current crop of Miller Thunderbolt XL 225/150 AC/DC. Something about plastic parts in the crank mechanism to adjust the amps. He showed me a used Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC (circa 1990 he said) which was very clean. See pic below. He claims it doesn't have all the "plastic" like the new models have. He said he took it in trade from the local high school. He said it worked just fine and I could have it for $250 (without leads and no warranty). He said 15 foot leads would cost me $60.00, for a total of $310.00.

So.......... Is this a good deal? Are these older units really better than the new models? I can get a new Hobart Stickmate AC/DC for $445 from my local fleet farm. What say you all.

Thanks Guys,

Don <><

nadogail
    Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:31 am

If I had the opportunity when I bought my Stickmate, I would have jumped on the old Thunderbolt. The owner of the store will probably make a greater profit on the used machine; but so what? A relationship with your LWS (local welding supply) can be worth a lot to you.
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

The "no warranty" part makes me more than a little skeptical. If the guy repaired it like you implied, he -knows- whats wrong with it, thats why hes not offering even a store warrenty. Used welders last damn near forever if taken care of and not abused, and the fact this guy had to repair it and wont offer you -any- kind of warrenty makes me think something is wrong or close to bein wrong with it.

Your new hobart will cost 450 bucks, with leads, stinger, clamp, and probably a bit of rod. It'll also come with a 5/3/1 warrenty. Your miller will cost 320 after leads and no warrenty. Whats your peace of mind worth to ya? 100 bucks aint that bad if ya ask me.

That being said (and I dont wanna sound like an everlast salesman) the everlast inverter stick machines are around 300 bucks all included. If price is your main factor and you'll never have to weld aluminum I'd consider one of those, there dc only but they are a hell of alot lighter and have a smoother arc.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
nadogail
    Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:31 am

After reading the other posters entry, and haing a good sleep,,
There was nothing said about the Thunderbolt having been repaired, just "a trade in".
I suggest you consider negociating with the shop owner for 1., A "shop Warranty". 2. Throw in some extras (gloves, chipping hammer, used helmet, leathers, rod samples). 3. Full Price exchange privilege on a more expensive welder with a reasonable expiration (1 year) This could also serve as a warranty of sorts.

Pay with a Credit Card. If you have problems as soon as you get the welder set up, the credit card company can negociate with the merchant. I had a problem with a repair shop and called American Exppress on a Friday evening; intending to call the garage on Monday. The garage called me Monday morning asking how could they make my car rightr and get paid.

Last but not least, "Is there a discount for Cash?