Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Oscar wrote:Scroll up please. Look at my posts from Wednesday :lol:
Sorry, I removed mine...as I am a dip$#!T, I did scroll up and saw the last one was 1/8". Since the one I saw was 5/32" I thought you hadn't updated this thread...I see there's another one after the 5/32" now... :oops:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

It's all good. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll have one for lift-arc TIG on this machine. Already have some footage, just have to edit and what not.

Part IV - Lift Arc TIG

Get them while they are on sale plus with free electrodes! Killer deal.

Just messin' around

:D
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

Oscar wrote:Just messin' around

:D
What electrodes were those?? You better not say 6010s... even if they weren't i'm shocked it was able to adapt to so much arc length and voltage variation. "fighting to stay lit" is something you definitely notice more on very high end machines over smaller transformers and the majority of inverter units. The stingers on the Miller XMT 350 machines at school are scored all to hell in less than a semester because when you stick a rod, it sometimes it just flat out doesn't want to break the connection, and it'll either arc to your stinger and leave a gouge if the rod pulls lose, or the work piece will be flopping around the table arcing all over the place. But I'm not sure if they'd be able to pull this off or not.

Those were 6011s, but I'm sure it would "work" with 6010s as well. It's still not conducive because one rod will always be the wrong polarity (DCEN). Now on an AC stick welder, like the Invertig 221 or Invertig 400, then both 6011 rods would be perfectly useful, so long as the balance is kept at 50%. :D
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

I've found small inverters to be fairly unfriendly towards 6011 as well. Long arcing a 6010-6011 is considered a sign of a good machine, at least it used to be You basically just did it on both sides of the leads so even more erratic for the machine to handle.