Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
genesis
    Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:19 pm

But I can't really call it a weld. More on that later. I got a brand spanking new Hobart Stickmate AC/DC welder (Free, it was a gift), a Harbor Freight auto-darkening helmet ($35 and works like a charm), a box each of Lincoln 1/8" 6011, 1/8" 6013, & 3/32" 7018, a chipping hammer, wire brush, and gloves.

Had my neighbor, who's a maintenance supervisor, come over in case I did something stupid and ended up as Rudolph the red nosed welder. He checked everything to make sure it was safe and said "OK. Show me what ya got". So I set the welder at about 50 amps DCEP, put in a 6013 rod, and burned right through the thin rusty sheet metal I was practicing on. I figured it would. But I was able to keep the arch going for 5 or 6 inches. Did this 3 times. Learned a lot on that first rod; How to strike an arch, and how important a good arch length is. My neighbor said, "OK. You won't kill yourself. Now just practice, practice, practice and practice some more. I'll bring ya some thicker scrap metal to play with."

I have nothing to compare it against, and absolutely no welding experience, but this welder sure is sweet and easy to use ! I LOVE IT ! ! !. Now I see why you guys like welding so much! I"M HOOKED ! ! !

Don <><
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

:)
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Congratulations!

While setting up a weld (cutting, fitting, tacking, cleaning, etc.) can sometimes be a headache, I find that actually performing the weld can be relaxing, if not downright hypnotic.

If your nieghbor can bring you some 1/4" or thicker material, the practice will be more satisfying. I like angle iron for practice; You can practice all positions depending on how you orient the piece.

If you maintained an arc with a 1/8" 6013 at 50A, you're off to a good start. Most 1/8" rods like to see 95-125A, except 6010/11, which will burn nicely at 65-95A.

(Approximations--your mileage may vary)

Steve
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:While setting up a weld (cutting, fitting, tacking, cleaning, etc.) can sometimes be a headache, I find that actually performing the weld can be relaxing, if not downright hypnotic.
I couldn't count the number of times I wandered off into never never land while I was under my hood. :)

Genesis,
Practice makes perfect. Get as much as you can.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

I couldn't count the number of times I wandered off into never never land while I was under my hood.
Bet you can count the times you burned the piss outta yourself though huh? :)
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

kermdawg wrote:
I couldn't count the number of times I wandered off into never never land while I was under my hood.
Bet you can count the times you burned the piss outta yourself though huh? :)

There was never a truer statement than that. :lol: I wish I had a quarter for every time. I'd be retired by now!!
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
kermdawg

I know when im tiggin I get so zoned out I get crosseyed starin at the puddle. Dont got that problem with stick though, cause everytime your about to zone out you gotta get a new rod in the stinger.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey there,

A dude I know once told me that while on night shift. He was doing TIG cerc welds inside a titanium clad pressure vessel, he went to sleep while welding. The vessel was being rotated under him. When he came to, he was about 15mm off the joint. Ooops, time for a coffee.

Mike.
kermdawg

Sounds expensive. :)
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,
I think it was alright. The Ti was machined 20mm back from each edge for welding of the steel. The cladding was put back on after welding by another company.
From Mick