Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
glivo
    Wed May 08, 2019 3:43 pm

I'm wondering if stick welding electrodes go off with age if they are still in their sealed packets. I have an opportunity to purchase nearly 100 kg of sticks for a very cheap price. Mostly new old stock (NOS) in sealed packets. Cigweld Weldcraft mainly and a few other boxes of different stuff.

I've got some very old sticks here that aren't in packets and they still work OK.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Weldcraft are 6013 rods. They won't go off but do you really want 100 kg (220#) of 6013?

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
snoeproe
    Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

I go off if someone says or does something real stupid.
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

"Go Off" must be a down under term?
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Some rods don't keep well depending on the storage conditions - 6013 is not sold in sealed packets ( at least in the UK ) so while they may have some sot of plastic outer on the carton it's not like vac pac foil sealed rods - that said if the rods were OK to begin with I would say they just need baking once - I have Esab rods that are donkeys years old & they still weld fine - would'nt use them on critical stuff but for farm repairs etc no worries - try scraping some flux off the rods - if there is even slight rust under it you bought scrap / coat hangers - if not get them in a rod oven then store them someplace warm with low humidity.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

noddybrian wrote:Some rods don't keep well depending on the storage conditions - 6013 is not sold in sealed packets ( at least in the UK ) so while they may have some sot of plastic outer on the carton it's not like vac pac foil sealed rods - that said if the rods were OK to begin with I would say they just need baking once - I have Esab rods that are donkeys years old & they still weld fine - would'nt use them on critical stuff but for farm repairs etc no worries - try scraping some flux off the rods - if there is even slight rust under it you bought scrap / coat hangers - if not get them in a rod oven then store them someplace warm with low humidity.

Yup!
I have more questions than answers

Josh
glivo
    Wed May 08, 2019 3:43 pm

Thanks.

"Going off" is a term used to describe several things down here. If the surf is pumping it is "going off". Sometimes the fishing will be "going off". "Going off like a bucket of prawns in the sun" means something is turning bad very rapidly. Meat can "go off" in the fridge and sometimes a particular lady, well, I wont explain. ;)

In this case however, it simply means to become unusable.

Coldman, no I don't need and will never need 100 kg of rods. I was looking at these as a re-sale item. In total there are 21 x 5 kg packets of rods and I am able to get them all for about AUS $1 / kg. The majority of the packs are unopened and still in the plastic. 12 packets of the Weldcraft, a couple of Ferrocraft 22, 5 packs of Austarc 13S and a couple of Sandvik GP. I think they are mostly all 3.2 mm rods. The guy selling them is doing so for his uncle and it's a but hard to get info out of him as he doesn't know what he's looking at.

A bit academic now. I was in Sydney yesterday and didn't go get them. It's a bit of a trip to just go back for them alone.