Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
genesis
    Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:19 pm

I just picked up a brand new Hobart Stickmate AC/DC stick welder. It comes with a 5 foot power cord, 10 foot ground clamp, and 15 foot electrode holder. To extend the reach it seems I have two choices. (1) Make up a 25 foot extension cord. (2) splice in 25 feet on the ground clamp and electrode holder. Is one of these methods preferable over the other? Or are both of these choices a "no no." Are there other ways to extend the reach?

Thanks for your help guys,

Don <><
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

Most would probably say do not use an extension cord. I would extend the two leads with a couple of tweco quick connects.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Extending the leads is preferable, but I've made and used extension cords without a problem,either. It has to be a heavy duty one.Don't adapt from a store bought "heavy duty" orange cord. Use at least 8/3 SO for 25 feet with heavy duty plugs to match whats on the welder. 6/3 SO would be a better choice. To be safe, the power cord on the welder should say what guage it is . Use that or a higher one as there won't be much dropoff over 25 feet.

Costwise, it would be cheaper to extend the leads.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder