Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
jock
    Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:45 am

We heat our house with a free standing wood burning fire. Because we had it running to hot on Australian gum wood it has split the box on the lower edge. The split is about 7in long. What I need to know is, can I weld this using either 11 or 14 rods or is there a better way. Hope some one can help as I a newby at this.
Cheers Jock
GWD
    Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

jock wrote:We heat our house with a free standing wood burning fire. Because we had it running to hot on Australian gum wood it has split the box on the lower edge. The split is about 7in long. What I need to know is, can I weld this using either 11 or 14 rods or is there a better way. Hope some one can help as I a newby at this.
Cheers Jock
Australian gum? Would that be eucalyptus?

Anyway, fireboxes are made of several different materials. I've had them out of cast, mild steel, and sheet metal. A picture would help along with a more detailed description.

There are specific processes, rods, and/or techniques depending on the material to be repaired.

Not really sure what "11 or 14 rods" are but I'm not a professional. Someone will be along shortly with an answer.
jock
    Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:45 am

Will try and post a pic after the weekend. I think it is mild steel not cast.