Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
  • jaso
    Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:57 pm

Hello all,

I purchased some stick equipment and rods from a fellow who inherited it all from his grandfather and never used any of it. In the mix was several containers of rods. One of the containers is a toolbox full of unmarked rods with a fine white powder covering them. Is there any way for me to identify what type of rods these may be?

The other containers are full of 6011, 6012 (yes, really), and 6013 rods with a few 7018 scattered about. The outside markings on one of the containers says "Coor-Alloy 300" and another says "Eutectrode 680", but each of these two containers was full of misc. sizes of 60xx.

One thought I had is that maybe he dumped all the "Eutectrode 680" rods into the toolbox and re-used the container.

Ideas?

j
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Old school rods often used a color dot code not printed numbers. Look for color dots.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

6012s are very popular here in Australia. Great rod for general purpose, really nice vertical downs on handrails and such. With your other rods, run em and see what the weld looks like. At least you will know roughly if you've got steel rods or another alloy
E T
  • E T
    Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:16 pm

If the mystery rods have a bright white coating they could be aluminium rods. Knock some flux of the end of one and if the metal of the rod itself is very soft, not magnetic and looks like aluminium you have your answer.

The Eutectrode 680 are 312 hi-nickel(10%) rods. Great for welding dissimilar metals and hard to weld steel.
312 is stainless steel, so not magnetic as well. If the mystery rods are much harder to bent then regular mild steel rods then they might be the Eutectrode 680. Then run a bead with one. If they are stainless rods you will spot it right away.
I have 312 rods from a different brand, but those have regular grey/brown flux.
E T
  • E T
    Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:16 pm

I had to google the Coor alloy rods and i found Cooralloy 3000 rods. not 300.
Those are 312 rods as well and have a light grey flux judging from a picture on e-bay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dissimilar-Ste ... 2928955876

Can't see no markings on the rod either,
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (34.16 KiB) Viewed 1301 times
  • jaso
    Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:57 pm

Thanks for all of the information, everyone. Sounds like I just need to run some beads and see what's up. If they aren't too embarrassing I'll take some pictures to see if that helps clear up the mystery. :lol:
drizler1
    Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

If nothing else just save them for arc gouging. I’ve got 50lbs of color dot coded and they’re nearly impossible to decipher . Too many different combinations with some of the dots falling off the ends and such. I gave up on them long ago . They’re ok for unimportant sorts of welds and cutting though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk