Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Insane.shayne
    Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:08 pm

So I just bought a 200 from a buddy of mine. It had been sitting in his garage for about a year but Before I bought it he started it up for me. It ran for 5-10 seconds then shut off. Was a non issue for me at the time because I knew it had been sitting and just needed some attention. So about two weeks after that I got the time to change some things. Changed the spark plugs, fuel filter, oil and oil filter, cleaned the oil bath and some old cracked hoses. But now it won’t start at all. Turns over just fine but won’t actually fire. I’m kind of at the end of my mechanical know how now but I’m assuming it has something to do with the spark plugs. From what I can tell it has a distributor cap and not a mag. Not sure the best way to check if spark plugs are getting power or not. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

F163 BTW
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

My first thought was no spark as well, otherwise if you have spark its could be a fuel delivery issue. Given that it started up before I'm guessing its probably not a fuel issue unless the filter you put on it is restricting flow.

1. Verify that the plug boots are not old and shitty after sitting for a long time. Inspect for tears or damage. Maybe just replace them all since you did the plugs.
2. Try taking one of the plugs out (might need to try a few) and keep the boot attached. Visually inspect for spark while turning over?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Think those have a rotor cap. Clean and or replace might be in order.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

bap_ wrote: 2. Try taking one of the plugs out (might need to try a few) and keep the boot attached. Visually inspect for spark while turning over?
It won’t spark unless the plug is touching the engine case as it lacks a ground. So you can remove the plug and crank it over, but hold the plug against the chassis or case with low lights to verify spark.

You only fuel, compression and spark to fire the motor. Plug out and cranking, thumb over plug hole will tell you if you have compression. Test above tells if there’s spark. Then it’s down to fuel delivery. Having changed the fuel filter, verify fuel flow to the motor by cracking the fuel bowl. Quite possibly there’s gummed up fuel in the injector causing a restriction. A potent dose of fuel treatment may help.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

make sure that you're getting REAL gasoline to the system. I recently had a small generator, which I had running 3 weeks earlier, that I wanted to use on a project. Got it out the day before to start it and wouldn't start. Discovered that the "fine" gasoline had accumulated lots of "moisture" and also discovered that (even tho I can burn water while cooking) couldn't get that stuff to fire up in the generator.