Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:41 pm

I will soon be involved in a project to weld large rusty chain for an artist. I was wondering what the best approach would be - Stick with humongous amps? MIG with pass after pass? Figured this is probably the best place to find that answer. Appropriate rod would also be a good piece of info to have.

The links look to be about 2 inch thick and 12-14 inches in length. The desired result is a sweeping arch vertical then off to one side. There is an object to be suspended from the end - don't have further info on the object.
Z
Attachments
Chain.JPG
Chain.JPG (56.57 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I would MIG it. You can get a lot more passes faster with MIG than with stick, but you do need a heavy duty MIG to ensure good penetration. What machine(s) do you have?
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

If you can prep to shiney then mig would be fastest. If not you will be struck with stick.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

1/8 6010. No clean-up required.
Homemade
    Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:31 am

Clamp the ground lead to one end and the stinger to the other end. Somewhere around 400amps should weld all the links together at once.

All kidding aside I would 6010 it myself.
E T
  • E T
    Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:16 pm

That's a heavy piece of chain.
I would get some more information on that piece of art first.
What grade steel is the chain made of?
How tall is it gonna be?
How heavy is the 'object' that is suspended on the end and how far out from the base will that be?
Will it be possible for people to stand/walk under/near it ones its finished and on display?

A chain like that would probably weigh between 30-40 Lbs/ft, so that is per link if your dimensions are correct.
If its grade 80 Q/T steel, which is very likely, you can't just glue it together with 6010. The welds are bound to crack.
Clean all the weld areas from rust, preheat, weld with E7018 (or better E10018) rods straight from a rod oven and a slow cool down would be my choice.
    Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:41 pm

ET - Many thanks for your reply - the actual specifications for this material and for the final piece are not at hand. It will take me some time to gather it all. Your reply addresses the exact items I wish to deal with to end with a safe product. The finish I think is asking a huge amount from the chain much less the welds. It is to rise vertically and the arc forward into an arch.... That kind of made my hair stand on end. The item n the end is more of a decorative thing but some of the requirements involved there are at the limit! The rod heating and the suggested rod to use are greatly appreciated. I have been working in this studio and the welding machines get some really tough use.... control knobs not properly connected, before I got into the picture the units merely sat on top of the carts - now they are strapped down.... it is truly catch as catch can.... If I am unable to resolve the addresses you have mentioned I may step aside.... There is real danger in the finished product if this is not done properly. I see it and thank you again for your assistance - thus far. The effort is huge.... I also saw pins welded into the links with the angles selected adding to the reduction on the load on the weld alone .... as one possible aid to increase the safety.

Stay tuned!!!

Z