Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:43 pm

CJ737,

You are correct and the poster who sent in the Miller analogy did not read the thread completely before posting.

The original poster has no experience. Then he was given advice. Then told to change stuff. Then it got muddy.

We are talking about an original poster who went to Lowes for electric advice. I understand when I see a really good person trying to help someone. I'm that same guy. But in this case there are so many red flags. Look how little information the guy shared. If it was a college paper he would of got an F. Come on folks, if you want advice from serious people then you need to write more information and take pictures from multiple angles when asking questions. And it would help also if you don't just drop out after getting the advice. Give us feedback and don't feel bad. The people who know better most likely learned the hard way and are trying to save you pain.

Hope nobody gets killed because it's very obvious that the poster has zero electric knowledge. If he dies I will be very sorry but not guilty.

The road to hell is paved in Ferro Cement and good intentions!

First project I worked on when 16 was a Ferro Cement boat project. The road to hell is paved with it. It must have been cursed because everyone involved got hammered somehow.
Learning is the best part of life and the most painful
Simclardy
    Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 pm

JoeWetenkamp wrote:This is the wiring to the receptacle that accepts the 6-50 welder plug. I was told at Lowe’s that the red and green were hot, white was ground, and the black was neutral (which I just capped off).
Joe, the picture tells it all. You need to wire the black and red to the outside terminals and the green to the middle. Cap the white.
Before you plug the machine in, check voltage. 240 from outside plugs and 120 from outside to middle.

You can check the wiring on the machine if you want. Obviously the machine needs to be rated for 240 volt. Which i assume it is.
If you want to take pictures of the machine nameplate and al the connections i can double check them.

My concern is with the amperage. The dryer is rated at 30 amps. Your machine might draw more current than the wires are rated for.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Simclardy

Louie1961 wrote:Definitely wrong. Green goes in the middle, the two hots on the outside. So the white wouldn't be used, black and red on the outside, and green to the green tinted screw terminal. In your current configuration you are only providing 120 volts to the welder.
Good clear advice. If the welder is wired wrong, that's another issue, but this is the proper way to wire this plug.

Hey Joe,

Give us all an update on how the wiring went and if your welder works.

What do you make with your welder?

Kirk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Simclardy

I hope joe is ok?

Hope he made it past the voltage test you suggested

In all seriousness

Simclardy

Radishfever wrote:Hope he made it past the voltage test you suggested ImageImageImage

In all seriousness Image

Im sure life happened and he got busy. But your right electricity is scary, and I've been working with it for 20+years.
Something to keep in mind, is your welding voltage can kill. Your open circuit voltage is 50-100volts and their is alot of current. You never want to become the path. This is especially important on big jobs where you might be tempted to find the closest ground.
Sorry for the annoying lecture.
Cheers

Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

But your right electricity is scary
I have to disagree. Scary? No.. Dangerous and needing to be respected, sure. A car will kill you just as fast as an electrocution, but we don't talk about cars as being scary. Same for guns, although I am sure guns are scary to the uniformed/untrained.

My point of view is if you let something scare you, that is when you make a mistake and get hurt. Don't be scared, but be aware, follow the safety rules, and be smart.
Multimatic 255