Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
yelnif
    Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:21 pm

I just found this curious, and wondered if anyone could shed light on whey this would be ...

I have some Vulcan branded 6013 3/32" electrodes and the packaging recommends 70 - 105 amps. I picked up Hobart 6013 3/32" rods and the packaging recommends 40 - 80 amps. Any ideas as to why they would be so different? I understand these are just ranges, and that position, material thickness, etc. will determine best setting. I just find the two barely overlapping ranges for the theoretically "same" rod odd.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Interesting. All 2.4mm 6013s I've ran definitely run better with the 70-105A suggestion. The slag is thick and you really do need to push it back with a strong arc. I wouldn't even think they can run at 40A! But perhaps it's in the flux formulation of the Hobart's? Have you burned any? Are you sure you didn't get 1/16" or 5/64" electrodes? Or 3/32" 6011's?
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

there is a huge variation allowed in the spec.
with 6013 there is a gazillion different spec rods out there from sheet metal rods to pipe welding rods.
one of the big differences is rutile coating thickness. quite common to get double coated rods.
the other is a heavy cellulose mix so its almost a 6011.

i normally simply follow the manufactures recommendations for amps and usage.
tweak it until it breaks