Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
yachtweld3mm
    Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:35 am

Mornin' all,
i have a 3mm (1/8th " ) deck section to weld, simple lap job, the sheet is about six and a half feet long and at one end it is one metre wide, (3'3") and down the other end its about 880mm (2'11").

It requires a slight camber just to run off water and it has two deck beams of 2" flat bar 5mm. I'm yet to put the camber on the sheet, which I'll do by centering it over a log and jumping on it. I hope. I figure it would be better putting the camber on the deck beams and dogging the sheet down over them.

I'm wondering about a good welding sequence, be it from the middle, then out, I'll definitely have to use dogs and wedges to tack it all down but I'm concerned that instead of a camber I might end up with hollow in the middle due to stress and distortion. Hollows between the beams that is!
I'll just be laying down 2 inch beads at a time till they cool, but how cool? cool to touch? or just not red hot?
BTW the sheet is covering what was previously a cockpit ......dunno how to explain it for non sailors,,,,,,?
The main thing is weld sequence and timing. I have much to do between welds so taking 3 weeks to lap weld a six by 3 foot sheet wont be a prob. Just don't want Lincoln's Mr. Shrink to come by.
THANKS.
PAT A.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

what's the material being welded and by what process?
Multimatic 255
yachtweld3mm
    Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:35 am

Louie1961 wrote:what's the material being welded and by what process?
MILD STEEL 3MM, SANDBLASTED AND PRIMED AND PAINTED. STICK WELDING using a WIA 140 amp inverter.