Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

For one of these machines is $320 a good used price? Tried to get the seller down to $250 but he didn't budge. Looking to get into a dedicated stick machine for outdoor use so I don't leave my tig machine in doors, but want something cheap but reliable.

Also I know these are supposed to run with a 50a breaker. Anyone run this at 30A breaker with any luck? just curious,as its probably a long shot.

Cheers.
Ballistic308
    Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:56 pm

If it works, yes $320 is a great deal for an AC/DC machine.
drizler1
    Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Like most things it’s worth what he can get vs how bad you want it. How ancient is it? That’s one question. Are the switches both there and still move? I figure they need to be gone through every 10 years and cleaned . At least that’s what I’ve experienced with mine. I just went through mine last month. Looks easy but is something of a PITA.
That’s not bad for a fully working AC DC. I paid $400 for a one in 1999 on sale at HD. Just make sure all the taps are working and the fan is spinning. They get corroded over in time because they’re too heavy to bring in from the cold dirty garage. If you get one clean it up and mount it up off the floor on a cart. Put a cover on it too , full length to the floor .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

I guess it depends on where you are. I wouldn't pay that for a tombstone. Not when I can get something like this for a whole lot less money:

https://cnj.craigslist.org/tls/d/floren ... 76762.html
Multimatic 255
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Heck I even think this is a better bargain: https://www.harborfreight.com/welding/w ... 64978.html
Multimatic 255
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

bap_ wrote: Looking to get into a dedicated stick machine for outdoor use
i would be looking at an inverter simply due to weight. do you can use it in different places and don't have to have a mile of cable.
tweak it until it breaks
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

tweake wrote:
bap_ wrote: Looking to get into a dedicated stick machine for outdoor use
i would be looking at an inverter simply due to weight. do you can use it in different places and don't have to have a mile of cable.
I agree. And many inverters can run off 120v (with much lower duty cycle and max amps) as well as 240v. Handy if you’re going over to your buddies house to weld a gate or something. Kinda pointless tho if you’re only ever welding in your garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Welding at home is always good. Everything you need is right there. BUT, there is always that one time when you need a portable,,a small portable that will operate on 110/220. Just saying for a friend.
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably pass on it, as I've already got a TIG machine in the garage, but was entertaining the idea. There are plenty of Chinese inverters for the same price that go on 120/240 as well, but I always hear these machines are bullet proof.

I hear you guys on the portability aspect. That is a plus.