Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
WelderDan
    Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:50 am

Are 1/8 electrodes easier to learn with (and use) than 3/32? I can't really use any 1/8 electrodes on my machine because I haven't bought the adapters to connect it to my only 240 volt outlet. I've been practicing only with 3/32 on a 120volt/ 20 amp circuit.
Mike Westbrook
    Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:13 pm

Go to Lowe's get some 1/8 6013 rods practice and let us know if you need anything they run nice on a wide range and are forgiving not the strongest but a good learning rod to get the idea

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Cutting torch hammer and a full vocabulary
drizler1
    Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

From my own perspective I like bigger electrodes simply because the burn down a lot slower so they’re easier to keep up with. For those reasons I seem to weld better with them.
Of course you have to consider how big you can go with only 110. That’s going to limit you considerably.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
WelderDan

Thanks. I'll try the 6013 1/8. It will have to do for now, until I can afford the 220v extension cord and adapter
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

the only problem with 3/32 i've had is it whipping. very difficult to keep it still at full length. so i will pool cue it or two hand grip. 1/8 doesn't flex so much so doesn't seam to have that issue.
tweak it until it breaks
WelderDan

Ah ha!! I located a 110v 30 amp dedicated circuit in my house. Not being used by anything. Apparently it was a dedicated "dryer" circuit before our kitchen was remodeled. It's an old house