Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Clifford
    Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:19 pm

I know this is kind of entry level stuff, but I'm in need of some basic approaches to get my projects off the ground. I want to construct a simple box with 1/8 mild steel to tack on my tractor to hold lynch pins, etc. Just an open receptacle, no lid. It's to be 4" x 4" x 10". I figure outside corners on 1/8 stock is pushing my stick capabilities, but before I even fire up, is there a trick and/or device that I can use to hold two pieces edge to edge at 90 degrees so I can tack up? I've run out of imagination but I know there's a standard solution out there to solve this.
Thanks,
Clifford
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

I usually use 2x2 angle iron, chuck it in the vise then clamp/vise grip the sides onto it and tack it. Aluminum angle works even better as its harder to tack onto the sides accidentally. and it would help as a heat sink since 1/8 sheet can be tricky to stick weld.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike Westbrook
    Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:13 pm

Build a few of these I made three sizes years ago 3x3 a 6x6 and this 12x12 I took extreme care and time to make them square and plumb on a known flat surface with a good square I can make a true 90 on most any length with four clamps then take the two L shapes and finish a perfect plumb level square you will have them forever and use them outside when no level surface is available size the metal to the jig this big one is 3/8 by two angle with 1/4 clamp tabs ImageImage

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Cutting torch hammer and a full vocabulary
Mike Westbrook

Build a few of these I made three sizes years ago 3x3 a 6x6 and this 12x12 I took extreme care and time to make them square and plumb on a known flat surface with a good square I can make a true 90 on most any length with four clamps then take the two L shapes and finish a perfect plumb level square you will have them forever and use them outside when no level surface is available size the metal to the jig this big one is 3/8 by two angle with 1/4 clamp tabs the last picture is the strongest clamp I have !ImageImageImage

Mike Westbrook

Build a few of these I made three sizes years ago 3x3 a 6x6 and this 12x12 I took extreme care and time to make them square and plumb on a known flat surface with a good square I can make a true 90 on most any length with four clamps then take the two L shapes and finish a perfect plumb level square you will have them forever and use them outside when no level surface is available size the metal to the jig this big one is 3/8 by two angle with 1/4 clamp tabs the last picture is the strongest clamp I have !ImageImageImage

Mike Westbrook

Not sure what's going on said it wouldn't load so I reloaded three times sorry guys

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Something like that has been on my wanna do list for a while. DIY version of the Fireball Tools squares that I can’t afford

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike Westbrook

Take your time making them ...I use mine all the time there very handy all where made from scraps for basically nothing

Clifford
    Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:19 pm

Thanks for the input; what you've provided makes sense. Hopefully I can provide pictures of what I've done with this info. But for sure, my welds aren't for show - still getting that hood time. AND I need the box.
Thanks,
Clifford