Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
av8r
    Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:23 am

Everyone talks about the "whip and pause" technique for getting full root penetration on a 1G (flat gap) weld. Some books call it step and pause. As I gather, the technique is to hold the rod in the root gap until a "keyhole" forms then move it back up the face of the applied filler metal to allow the puddle next to the keyhole to freeze. Then backdown the face, adding filler metal and producing a new keyhole. The keyhole is verification that there is fusion all the way to the backside. I am trying to master this but it is difficult from the description alone. Is anyone aware of a video that demonstrates this?
Thanks
Perpetual stick/TIG welding student (or master of molten metal massacre)
Miller XMT304
av8r
    Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:23 am

I may have answered my question. I was reviewing the stick-welding videos and found that "Shielded Metal Arc Welding Rods - Types of Welding Rods and where to use them" had a brief view of doing the whip and pause with 6010. It was a fillet rather than a butt joint.
Perpetual stick/TIG welding student (or master of molten metal massacre)
Miller XMT304
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

i really wish jody would have a video request forum, or form. I would really like to see a real good, in depth video on keyholing with stick welding. I think thats one of the harder aspects of welding to beginners. I still dont feel like ive "mastered" it.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
JDP
  • JDP
    Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:27 pm

The "keyhole" during welding a root pass is key to having a good sound root. no pun intended there. On pipe, depending on the fit up, it is possible to make a nice root without whipping much at all. Whipping too much can put excessive reinforcement on the backside of the root. Personally, I like to fit it pretty tight, with enough land to crank my machine up and just float it in without having to jamm the rod in there . Fit up is more than half the battle to laying in a nice root. watch and listen to the arc. If it sounds hollow (on pipe) your doing good. if there is a barrage of sparks coming back at you, odds are the fit is too tight and its not penetrating all the way . Figure out how you like to weld, hot and fast, or a little colder and slower, and when you can, fit it up to meet your style. More often than not though, you will have to weld to "fit" the fit. there i go with a pun again.