Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

jtap wrote:Good to know.

What are the thoughts on getting a DC only welder...like the AHP Alpha 160 ST, or a newer Thunderbolt (used)?

If I had to pay new Thunderbolt prices...what about the AHP Alpha TIG 200x? It's 750 new shipped to me.

Edit 2: Got a Thunderbolt locally (used).
Nothing wrong with a DC only welder, you just have to be careful on certain joints with large diameter electrodes that use a lot of amps. You might get arc blow if you don't move the work clamp around. But other than that, a DC only welder has served plenty before us. I have never used those welders you mentioned so I can't comment. When I was offered the deal on my dc stick welder, I said, the hell with it just keep it all HTP. I could have bought cheaper units as well, but I read a lot on the internet and frankly I don't like those horror stories with the AHP/Everlast/Longevity units that are or were so prevalent amongst hobbyists and smaller shops. I'm not saying HTPs are indestructable, but you read a lot less problems with them. The Inverarc 200TLP was my 3rd HTP welding machine, and it all went downhill from there, lol. The sting of dropping an "extra" $500 when I could have gotten something cheaper is long gone, and only the sweetness of a crisp, clean, but powerful welding arc remain in my palette. :lol:

Used it this past week along with my Texas Power strip. Helped a neighbor's backyard door from getting knocked down by his dogs since it was rusted all to bits.

jtap
  • jtap
    Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:22 am

Oscar wrote: Nothing wrong with a DC only welder, you just have to be careful on certain joints with large diameter electrodes that use a lot of amps. You might get arc blow if you don't move the work clamp around. But other than that, a DC only welder has served plenty before us. I have never used those welders you mentioned so I can't comment. When I was offered the deal on my dc stick welder, I said, the hell with it just keep it all HTP. I could have bought cheaper units as well, but I read a lot on the internet and frankly I don't like those horror stories with the AHP/Everlast/Longevity units that are or were so prevalent amongst hobbyists and smaller shops. I'm not saying HTPs are indestructable, but you read a lot less problems with them. The Inverarc 200TLP was my 3rd HTP welding machine, and it all went downhill from there, lol. The sting of dropping an "extra" $500 when I could have gotten something cheaper is long gone, and only the sweetness of a crisp, clean, but powerful welding arc remain in my palette. :lol:

Used it this past week along with my Texas Power strip. Helped a neighbor's backyard door from getting knocked down by his dogs since it was rusted all to bits.

Very nice.

I think the Thunderbolt that I got will be adequate for all my needs. Need to get my power sorted now. It's not portable...but if necessary I can move it around. I do like it for the simplicity and reliability that come with the big weight.
snoeproe
    Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

In construction, all I used were dc only welders. No reason to have an ac stick welder. I’ve got ac on my old idealarc 250 ac/dc machine. I’ve never used the ac on it. No reason to.