Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
UniqueTouch
    Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:27 pm

This my first time. Only had 75 amps to work with. Just got a great deal on a Lincoln gxt 250 so I will now be able to get the amperage I need. Looking for instruction and to be critiqued. Thank you
Attachments
7EAB9E87-E1A5-43BB-A631-F0196D8DD23E.jpeg
7EAB9E87-E1A5-43BB-A631-F0196D8DD23E.jpeg (98.21 KiB) Viewed 1954 times
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Beads look good from over here, but why do you only have 75A from a Lincoln gxt 250?
UniqueTouch

Oh ya sorry left the most important part out. I also have a squarewave tig 200 which I had first that I bought from someone and my house doesn’t support me adding any 220v outlets without upgrading to a 200 amp service and the electricians wanted 3k to do it and so I bought the gxt for the 3k instead of giving it to the electrician.
UniqueTouch

I was only able to use 110 plug on the squarewave at my house and I could only go to 75amp without tripping breaker

Oh ok, now I remember you mentioned that in your other thread. Sucks about not being able to get a 200A upgrade for a good price. Did you get bids from different electricians?
UniqueTouch

Ya they were all pretty much the same and than by the time the panel was upgraded and outlets where I wanted them it was getting crazy. I just wanted to be able to practice welding but was getting too expensive. Ya it would have been a good thing for the house but I’ll do that in the future if I need to plus I figured now I have a good generator too if power ever goes out for a while. My neighbor welds and during hurricane sandy he ran 4 houses for a week. I just kept him fueled up lol.

UniqueTouch wrote:Ya they were all pretty much the same and than by the time the panel was upgraded and outlets where I wanted them it was getting crazy. I just wanted to be able to practice welding but was getting too expensive. Ya it would have been a good thing for the house but I’ll do that in the future if I need to plus I figured now I have a good generator too if power ever goes out for a while. My neighbor welds and during hurricane sandy he ran 4 houses for a week. I just kept him fueled up lol.
Hate to break it to you, but if you want to run your house on the generator if the power ever goes out, you need an electrician to wire up a transfer switch box into your house. Unless you're just talking about a few appliances here and there.
UniqueTouch

Lol ya I mean just the necessary things like fridge and a light not the whole house.
UniqueTouch

Oscar - what type of welding do you do for a living? Do you have any suggestions for me? Do I just keep running beads and practicing? Any good books I can get. School is so expensive and I have a seasonal business that is about to start up and I am owner operator. I am going to practice my tig root pass on 4 inch pipe. Did that a few weeks ago compared to the videos online mine looked identical I couldn’t believe it. I feel like tig is easier I feel like you can’t ruin metal as easily bc you can back off amperage what do you think.

UniqueTouch wrote:Oscar - what type of welding do you do for a living?
None, I'm just a hobbyist/weekend garage warrior. What ever welding you want to do, you have to practice a lot. Some requires more instruction than others, but you can easily practice mild carbon steel, aluminum, stainless steel on your own. Other metals might need more attention to procedure, so then you get into the education aspect of things. But I do agree with your assessment of the TIG process. The use of a remote control, usually a pedal, combined with the fact that the filler is added manually/separately from the electrode gives great control over the final weld bead. The downside of course is that it is very slow and things need to be surgically clean if you want to avoid contamination.
UniqueTouch

Yea ive been learning that. i didnt believe all that about cleaning it until i saw it myself and all the crap floating up.
UniqueTouch

Just bought this machine recently like explained on other forums. I got a box with a new stinger along with leads and tweco Part no. 9510-1110 and also praxair pro star part number prs99578. Im wondering do the 9510-1110 bolt onto the machine where the pos and negative ports and do the leads get hooked up to the prs99578 and plug into the machine like how my ground and tig torch plug into my square wave tig 200? Or are those part numbers I listed for Mig welding? thank you for your help I appreciate it.