Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Donniev
    Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:32 pm

Basically the title, I was initially taught uphill 6010 root in school, and when I started working I was immediately told to go downhill because of the speed and it is easier. Now that I'm with the union I was informed today that they don't allow downhill on x-ray jobs, so I figured I'd look online for answers as to why- if they want x-ray welds to basically always be uphill, it must be stronger right? But I can't find any definitive answers really. I guess I'm of the mind of if it passes x-ray then does it matter? Or will downhill blow the x-ray? It's whatever, if they want me to uphill the root that's what I'm being paid to do, I'm just curious
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

It’s more a technicality issue. If your qualified welding procedure calls for up hill then it’s uphill only. Has nothing to do with strength or speed. It’s just a mater of that’s what the recipe calls for so that’s what it gets.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
snoeproe
    Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

It depends on the code or standard that your qualified to work in.
You just need to have your fit up set correct for each.
Usually, thinner wall cross country type pipe is welded with downhill methods and xx10 electrodes.
Thicker wall, in plant pipe is usually done uphill with xx10 root and low hy fill and cap. You can’t run low hy electrodes down hill on pipe.