Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

My local trade school periodically gets rods donated and sometimes they were left out of the oven and cannot be rebaked for whatever reason.. so they toss them.

They recently tossed 50 llbs of 7016. Looking at the data sheet these electrodes are meant for root pass welding up to X100 high strength pipe. Hot fill and cap up to x60.

Is there any reason to not use this rod for un-coded work, say just practice or welding some farm implements for example (any low risk uncoded work). Say I (ask permission) grab a handful of these could I use them on general repair or fab work like making bbqs and stuff?
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

We use 7016 here in Oz like you guys use 7018. It's a low hydrogen rod but without the added powder so slightly less deposition rate. So you can use it anywhere you would use 7018 with confidence. It's an excellent rod for any coded fabrication or pressure application when baked or general stuff when not. I always have opened packets on the shelf years old that I use for the occasional general stick job.
Go for it.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

Cheers hopefully its still around next week!