Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
jdcalabr
    Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:49 pm

After practicing running stick welding beads on a 3/16 steel plate I wanted to cut it up to practice T joints and but joints, etc.
I was trying to cut the plate with a Bauer portable band saw. The saw is mounted in a Swag table. The depth of cut is limited so I cut half the way through and planned to turn the piece around complete the cut. However, I couldn't back the saw blade out of the completed cut. The entry cut closed up on me.

I'm assuming the problem is built-in stress in the plate that caused the material to move and close up after I started the cut.

How do I relieve the stress before I try to cut it?
snoeproe
    Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

If it’s only 3/16” plate you want to cut, you could do that with an angle grinder/zip disc combo.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Unless you have your own heat treating oven to get the part to annealing temperature to relieve the internal stress, you'll have to work around it when doing your cuts. A thin 045 cutting disc on an angle grinder will work just fine.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Or like any material that pinches on the cut whether wood or metal simply drive a small wedge / chisel / screwdriver into the end of the cut once in past the blade width - it's a common problem cutting with carbide circular saws ( like the Evolution ) as the blades have very little side clearance.
jdcalabr
    Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:49 pm

Thanks to all for the advice, Greatly appreciated.